Review by Titan343

"The Best of Both Worlds"

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time was a breakthrough performance for the Prince. His wall-running and sword-play were fun...but only for a small time. The fighting in the game was all button-mashing, and one can only do so much running on walls no matter how fun it is.

Warrior Within introduced "free form fighting." Alliteration aside, the free form wasn't all it was cracked up to be and just like The Sands of Time, the puzzles were incredibly difficult.

On comes Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones. My first impression was that this game would be a small upgrade on the previous game. I was immensely surprised when this game kicked ***. The fighting in this game is also free form, but it was completely revamped. The Prince also has Sand Powers which can allow him to stun everyone, kill everyone on screen, or slow time. Even the wall-running is more fun with the introduction of stab squares and shutters to propel you diagonally across the screen. The traps are trickier, but not to the point of hurling your controller across the screen, and the puzzles are still there, but there are far less difficult, but still put your mind to the test.

The weaponry is slightly upgraded as well. Dual-wielding is still an option but the weapons themselves are cooler. For part of the game, I used my dagger as well as a mace dropped by a grunt to kill the baddies (which, surprisingly, had a high level of satisfaction). Also, near the end of the game the Prince comes upon a weapon (which will go unsaid as not to spoil the surprise) that can kill enemies in one swipe of the blade.

Of course the newest addition to the game is the Dark Prince, a Sand Creature that has embedded itself inside the Prince we all know and love. This leaves the Prince's arm glowing yellow with spikes protruding. It also leaves the Prince with a mean, overbearing inner voice who believes that the Prince is a cry baby and spends too much time saving peoples lives. However much the Dark Prince is overbearing, his attacking is unbelievable. He also has a dagger, but also has a chain that can lash out at enemies in many many different ways and potentially slice enemies in half.

Not only is the game play great, but the storyline is a beautiful portrayal of a flawed hero suffering from a bad case of ego. Along with the story, the setting of the game is breathtaking. One scene has the prince dangling from a stab square a mile above the village. This scene is unbelievable and I actually got my friends to come look at it.

This game is brilliant. Go get it!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 12/19/05