Review by Roguesquad6

"A nice expansion pack"

Halo 2. One of the most played online multiplayer games ever. This game used to dominate Xbox Live years ago (although now the activity has died down, especially with the release of Halo 3, and the Xbox 360). When I found the multiplayer map pack at a local Gamestop, I had to buy it. And let me tell you, it's not a let down. Definitely worth the $13 spent.

Now, if you have Xbox Live, there's no need to buy this expansion pack, because you'll be able to download the maps for free over Live. However, for us offline players, buying this expansion pack is beneficial. I will briefly cover what is included on this bonus disc, and if you should get it or not.

Multiplayer Expansion: 10/10
The meat of what is on this disc. You can update Halo 2 (keep in mind you must have a copy of Halo 2 for the multiplayer maps to be used) and download 3 exclusive map packs to your Xbox (or a friend's Xbox, copying the maps to another Xbox is perfectly legal), those being Bonus Map Pack, Killtacular Pack, and Maptacular Pack.

Bonus Map Pack: 10/10
The maps on here are Containment and Warlock. Containment is an enormous level, notable for being the biggest map on Halo 2, and extremely fun to play on. The terrain is snowy and icy, and this is definitely a map that you'll want to play lots of friends on. Warlock, on the other hand, is rather small and a 4-way symmetrical map. Similar to the original Halo map Wizard, returning Halo players will feel at home on this memorable, nostalgic map. Overall the Bonus Map Pack is a great addition to Halo 2 multiplayer.

Killtacular Pack: 10/10
The first map of this pack is Turf, a rather small map that takes place on the Earth's streets, and is very easy to adapt to. Perfect for smaller team battles, or Capture the Flag. Turf is a very memorable map to play on. Sanctuary is an open-ended map, with lots of ground to roam freely. A great map for Capture the Flag or team battles. Also noteworthy for being fairly big, though not as big as Containment, now. Overall the Killtacular Pack is a spectacular addition for open-ended team battles.

Maptacular Pack: 9/10
The map pack with the most maps on it, and the most enhancing addition to Halo 2 multiplayer. Terminal is probably my favorite map of all the added maps, and a big outdoor map perfect for Assault. Backwash is one of my least favorite maps, and less memorable, although it is an alright addition I suppose. It takes place in swampy terrain with many trees. Relic is a map that takes place on an island, and is very fun to play on due to the freedom and flexibility found within the large map. Elongation is a good map for playing Capture the Flag on (not good for massive team battles, however) and looks very identical. Might be too easy to get lost in. Also watch your back, you never knows who might assassinate you. Gemini concludes this map pack, and is very similar to Midship, a map that came with Halo 2 already. It's pretty fun to explore and battle on. I'd say this map is good for any type of play you may want to experience. Overall, Maptacular Pack has a quantity of maps, some very up-to-date and favorable. Definitely a solid addition to the Halo 2 multiplayer experience.

Exclusive Videos: 8/10
Another Day at the Beach is a Halo 2 cinematic experience worth watching, although some may not be too thrilled about it. There is one more video in this section, Halo 2: Killtacular, which is basically a making-of video brought to you by the developers of Halo 2's expansion pack. I'd say both videos are worth watching at least once.

Extras: 8/10
Included with the extras is an audio test, and a rather stupid and unfunny one at that. Avoid the audio test, it's rather childish. Also included is a Halo 2 Announcement Trailer, which I'd say is probably worth watching at least once. The final extra is Halo E3 2000, the first Halo 2 trailer ever released. I can't say I've watched it myself, but who knows, maybe you'll like it. The extras, excluding the audio test, are a solid addition to this disc. Note: the extras and exclusive videos do not copy to your Xbox's hard drive, only the maps, so if you want to watch the videos, you'll have to boot up the disc and Xbox. Or you could just watch the videos for free online, if you search correctly.

Final Recommendation:
Buy if you don't have Live, don't buy if you already have Live (you can get the maps for free), or rent if you just want to copy the maps to your Xbox hard drive and watch some of the extra videos. I'd say this is a stable enhancement to an already noteworthy game.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/07/09

Game Release: Halo 2 Multiplayer Map Pack (US, 07/05/05)