Review by SantaIsTheOne

"Finally people are getting superhero games right"

I was a bit skeptical when I first saw this game. I never played the first game because I really thought it looked pretty terrible. I checked this game out and it is actually suprisingly good.

Great storyline. The story of this game, as the name suggests, revolves around possibly one of the most powerful villains in the entire Marvel universe, Apocalypse. He was always one of my favorite X-Men villains as well. He is just portrayed with such power that there really isn't anything not to like about the guy as a villain. And there are also his 4 horsemen which contains another one of my favorites, Archangel. I mean anyone who can shoot rockets from their wings is great in my book. Overall though, great story.

Okay, down to what games are all about, how they actually play. Without this, there wouldn't be much of a game. This game is essentially a hack and slash game with RPG elements. To say otherwise just wouldn't be right. That is what mislead me about the first title. I was hearing all about this RPG X-Men game and was like wait, a turn-based RPG X-Men game sounds pretty crappy to me. That just doesn't seem to fit right. But, fear not, as it is not a turn-based RPG. You basically run around slashing at stuff and using your powers which are gained by (this is where the RPG elements come in) leveling up and alloting points into your attributes and skills. Your four Attributes are Body, Focus, Strike, and Speed. Body is the stat that increases your health. It also increases the chance that you heal extra from health potions. Focus is your "Magic" or "Energy". It determines your energy regeneration speed, damage with your powers, and also increases the chance that you get extra energy from potions. Strike is basically how hard you hit and Speed determines your attack and defense ratings. The game is fairly difficult even on easy mode later in the game. The game starts off pretty slow and it's not hard at all but later you get swarmed with massive amounts of enemies and it gets tough. Bosses really become challenges as well because they are pretty much as strong as you are. The enemies usually can be taken down even in numbers as large as 15 or 20 with a tank or two like Wolverine or Juggernaut so there isn't a whole lot of difficulty there. And since you can party with up to 4 characters at a time, it's even easier. There is still a lot of challenge though. There are also plenty of things to find and unlock and a lot of destructible items in the environment. The game is just fun.

Eh, not too impressive. You really don't notice while fighting because everything is swarmed and I could see maybe the game could have framerate drops if the graphics were too insane but they could have done better. Even still, I have noticed slowdown when too much is going on at once. Sometimes it gets really slow but it's only a second or two so it's nothing gamebreaking. The cutscenes really are the only things bringing this score up to a 7. If not for the overall nice graphics of the cutscenes, it would probably be a 5 or 6. The cutscenes are nothing to write home about but they are nice nonetheless.

The sound is pretty good. You have your basic hack-and-slash game sounds with really good voice acting I think. I liked the voices they used for most of the characters and I think Patrick Stewart from the movies might actually voice good ol' Professor X himself. The music is pretty decent as well.

Replay: 7/10

There are 3 unlockable characters and as you progress through the story you unlock new costumes and Danger Room areas and comic books. But after you beat it all you really have to do is go back through and beat stuff up and level everyone up to the max level which I think is in the 30s somewhere.

The game, overall, is worth it. At least rent it and see if you like it but I definitely recommend any X-Men fan or gamer in general to give this a try. Most likely, you will like it. There is plenty to blow up, smash, beat up, and just completely destroy and the bosses are pretty cool too. Also, with the unlockables you have a pretty long game ahead of you with this one. I would definitely give the game a shot though.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 10/10/05