Review by goodfella_zac

"Blitz + NFL Street = EA Sports Arena Football"

First off, I don't know a lot about the AFL. But when I saw this in the video store, I had to give it a try. I mean, a football game by EA is almost guaranteed good. Upon playing, I knew none of the rules. I guess the game considers this too, as it offers excellent explanations of the rules. At first I didn't much care for it, but it does become strangely addictive.

Graphics
Let's start with the basics. Graphics in this game are good, but certainly not top notch. They'll remind you of a Blitz or NFL Street game (more similarities to come.) They're definitely not gonna ruin the game for you, but some could be considerably unimpressed.

Audio
This is the first EA game since MVP 2003 that has actually had a soundtrack worth listening to. Staind and Avenged Sevenfold just to mention a couple. The music during a game is, while not very noticeable, music that'll keep you pumped up to play. The F/X during the game are good, giving you those good "pops" you like to hear when you deliver a satisfying blow to your opponent. The blows into the walls sound a little like a car crash, but man it sounds good! The announcer does his job just like in other EA Sports games. The referee sounds good, but I've noticed that he says "24" a little weird. Don't know if he does that with anyone else, I just happened to notice that one.

Game-play
Now here's where some will be turned off to the game. If you're like me then you're in for a big surprise whenever you pop it in, expecting to play something similar to Madden, and you find out it's nothing alike. I mean sure, they're both football, but it's totally different experience. Everything is set to a faster pace since the clock hardly ever stops and since the field is only 50 yards. One of the most The controls get a bit frustrating though. Not the buttons, but more of the in-game reaction. Since Arena Football is more offense geared, there is many more offensive plays than defensive. Here's where the Blitz references come in. While picking a play, if feels like I'm playing Blitz. The plays are near similar. And after plays, you're allowed to do late hits, just like Blitz. Of course in this game you'll be penalized for late hits, but you seem to get away with it more than you get caught. Now for the NFL Street references. In the AFL, there is a net behind the end zones, and whenever a ball hits that net it'll bounce back into play. And it's still alive, so you can catch it off the rebound and still score a touchdown (or lose it in an interception.) And obviously the walls play a role with tackles. Throw your opponents over walls into speakers, or get thrown over yourself. Maybe I'm stretching the NFL Street reference a bit since the mentioned facts are just part of the game, but since there is an interactive environment, I see a little resemblance.

Presentation
Just what you would expect from a football game: lights, music, and cheerleaders. This game will get you pumped up to buy this ga- I mean play this game.

Final Thoughts
Definitely rent before you buy. Some will love it, some will hate it. But if you truly like the AFL, you're in for a nice surprise. Worth your time though. So go have fun knocking some players (and coaches...you'll see) out. 7/10

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 02/27/06