Review by Spiffymarlin

"In the Old West, a man can only rely on his gun."

Gun was a highly anticipated game. I remember reading the June 2005 edition of Game Informer that featured Gun on the cover and had a four page preview of the game. An Old West FPS better than Red Dead Revolver? SOLD! The fanbase loved it. Sadly I was unable to pick up the game on launch, and have just recently purchased it for $9.79USD at Circuit City.

You are Colton White, aka Cole. The game begins with Colton and his father, ned, hunting in Montana. Ned gets a message and you and him go to a steamboat on the Missouri River. Ned goes and has some "fun" with a girl, but before he does, he sends you to talk to his friend. You go over and find the friend wrestling with a Preacher! The Preacher yells "You'll be the death of everyone on this ship!" and kills her. He then launches an attack on the Steamboat with rogue militia forces. You and Ned help fight them off, but there are too many. Before throwing you overboard, Ned says "Boy I'm not your father!". This is where the game picks up. You are after a Confederate General who stole an ancient Apache relic that is supposed to find the Lost City. That's all I can safely say without spoiling the game for you. It's a very good storyline with no plot holes involved.

All the gun models look just like their counterparts in the real world. Explosions look great on the XBox as well. Horses, yes horses, aer also amazingly detailed. Towns have dust swirling in the streets, and overall the graphics are just great.

Old time music is playing as your soundtrack. Most of the time, however, you are fighting so all you can hear are the superb explosions and sounds of battle overtake you. You can hear people chatting in the bars, saloons, and other buildings. If you bump into someone on the street, be prepared for an angry shout and a BAM that may take your hat off if you aren't lucky. The voice overs are well done as well.

Online: This game is XBox Live Aware, but there is no online play. You can, however, see when your friends log on.

Time to play: I finished the storyline mode on Normal in just under six hours. I've heard that Insane mode takes more than a month to beat. Also, seeing as this is from the creators of Grand Theft Auto, the game is amazingly open ended. The storyline only gets you 46% of the game done. There are also many side missions you can do. You can be a wrangler and help a rancher herd his cattle into their pens, be part of the Pony Express and deliver things, be a Deputy and aid the Sheriff quell the various disputes, you can be a bounty hunter and take on missions by finding "Wanted" posters in towns. You can also mine gold for 10$ each time you mine it. There are a lot of upgrades, and to get 100% completion you need to get them all.

Rent/Buy: A week's rental should net you 100% completion. I bought it because it was $9.79USD in a bargain bin at Circuit City and I wanted to see what the hype was about.

Overall, this game is great. I'm only docking the two points because of the storyline's length. It should be closer to 15 to 20 hours than under 6. That is just unacceptable in a highly hyped game such as this.

Final score: 8/10