Review by idiotman7

"Keep your guns close, and your body parts closer."

Great games seem to come out more and more often now days. But one stands out in the bunch. Gun. Gun brings you everything from an intriguing story, to some of the best graphics out today. It jsut doesnt live up to what was put into it. Not to say it isn't a great game, but I thought it was going to be a little better.

I have very mixed feelings for the gameplay in Gun. In some aspects, it's great. I loved being able to hold five guns at a time, and picking which gun I want to blow bandits away with. Another high point is the pistol quick draw. When you press the Y button, time slows, so that you can lock onto a target, even dynamite in the air, and shoot them. Probably the one thing that I was disappointed in this game with was the fact that the buttons were everywhere. At some point, I had to shoot, try to search for a new weapon, and heal myself, and I had to maneuver my fingers all over the place, and it was really tiring. One thing I wish they would have added was the horse back riding option, to dodge bullets on the side of your horse, like in Darkwatch. But beggars can't be choosers.

The Story is where this game really shines. You start the game off as Colton White, the year is 1880, and your smack dab in the center of the Old West. The law is pretty much in your hands, since the cops don't really care to do much out here. The game starts as you, Colton, and your “father” Ned, hunting game for the next steamboat that comes. After you finish hunting, the boat arrives, and the two of you get on. After a few scenes go by, he boat is attacked by a group of crazed soldiers, by the orders of a preacher. You must fight off the men, and find your father. After you find him, the ship is moments from going down, and the real story starts… The only problem I had with it, is that it was very short. It took me maybe seven to eight hours, with doing the side missions, but you do get to go back and do side missions after you beat it, so its cool.

Nothing really to spectacular in Gun, music and sound wise. Voice acting was good, not great, but good. They sounded like cheaply paid western actors, but they wernt as bad as say, Red Dead Revolver. Guns sounded realistic, I liked how they made the bow and arrow sound so realistic, as when you pull it back, and you hear the creaking of the bow, and the swoosh of the arrow in the air. The overall feel was good, and everything sounded alright, I was just hoping for something a little bit more after such a long wait and build up.

Hands down, this game looks spectacular. There is nothing really to wrong about the game. From the cut scenes to the actual gameplay, it all looks great. I did find a couple of awkward things, like a chin would be poking out right in the middle of a bandana, but it didn't happened to often. Characters looked awesome, and the environment, was realistic to say the least.

When it comes down to it, Gun is a very good game , that delivers to a high standard, but I was just a little disappointed in the overall value, when so much publicity was put in it. But it's a great game, and deserves a buy if I say so myself. Though the game looks great, and the story keeps you hooked all the way through, its very short, but you will be playing it many times after that, and there are lot's of things left to do after you beat it. Gun is a great game, just put to much hype into. There is no foul, if there are no rules. Take the law into your hands, and buy Gun, which is better than Red Dead Revolver all of you so ha.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/14/05, Updated 01/04/06