Review by MajinZidane

"Very slow in the going..."

Menus... lots and lots of menus.

That's what this game is. You create your coach and being playing. The main goal of this game is to build your coach up to the Xera level of power, and to one day surpass his skill as a BLU (but as a coach.) To do this, you have to sit through lots of menus and do very specific tasks.

When I started playing... I didn't get to the actual draft until three hours into the game. I didn't get to the actual PRESEASON for another couple of hours after that. This game is very slow in the going...

Kind of like in FFXI, if you want to play this game, you have to be persistent. You have to be prepared to log 1751 hours to do everything you want to do, because the game is like that.

In games, you don't actually control the players. You simply assign plays and give your players motivations. You do things that coaches do in the real game. Most of the time, it is actually better to just chose the plays that your coordinator wants you to, especially since you'll be busy coaching your players like Xera on the WR and others.

The one thing this game has going is a new approach in playing football. It had a great idea, it just lacked in execution. Hopefully, there can be a second edition that fixes many of the flaws of this game.

Speaking of flaws... this game has too many bugs for Xera to play it. He just won't. Your QB sometimes makes amazing plays, and other times will throw the ball behind him and cause a fumble.

I had Mako as my Offensive Coordinator, so I never had to worry about picking the right plays, but the game just didn't feel good. The AI (excluding Xera's) was overall pretty bad. Just like I mentioned with the QB earlier, most of the game is pretty much like that. Other teams will randomly not re-sign their best players, and you can sign them for MUCH less more than they are worth.

This game is even less like Chrono Cross than Madden 06 on the 360, but it is a decent change of pace from normal football games. A much slower, more frustrating, buggy change of pace, mind you, but a change of pace nonetheless.

In the end, if you are a patient gamer and you want to try something new, then give this game a chance. If you can handle the game's slow going, then it could be pretty fun.

Now that I think about it... this game would be fun there was some kind of multiplayer aspect to it. If you have a friend that is willing to subjugate himself to this, find a way to play it with that friend. That could make this game worthwhile.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 12/06/06