Review by goryman

"The final game for this generation of systems was a huge fatality."

When I first heard about it, I was excited about Mortal Kombat: Armageddon. I mean when I was a kid, I loved Mortal Kombat Trilogy and the MK games on the SNES (that's right, I played M-rated games when I was 9, now mind your damn business). Mortal Kombat Trilogy had a lot of characters. It was fun and I had hopes for MKA to be good. Well, on Spring Break '07, I bought it. And my hopes were smashed.

GAMEPLAY: There are a lot of things to say about the gameplay.

First the fighting. It is pretty fun, but it lacked in certain ways. First of all, they had two stances. One a fighting style and one a weapon. If you remember in MK Deception, the fighters had two stances and a weapon. Second of all, who's idea was it to create a fatality? I longed for the days when Scorpion did his Toasty fatality and the days when Sub-Zero ripped off a guy's head. Those were good, gory times. But the characters do have their own special moves and I feel like that is good. And they kept the death traps, and I love them for that.

Next is the Konquest mode. I actually had fun in the Konquest mode. You get to run around in the MK Universe and fight people without it going to an arena. Pretty good, Midway. I commend you for that. Plus you get to get the treasures. I loved the Konquest mode. One of the best parts of the game.

Next is Motor Kombat. It can be good for a time consumer. It's pretty neat to drive as your favorite MK characters and use weapons and hope they get into death traps. Okay not my favorite, but it can be good for a thrill or two.

Next is the Create-A-Fighter. Now I love the games that let you create your own people, but some of the features in designs were lacking. We needed a lot more options. How did the developers screw that up?

Finally, in my opinion, the most laughable part of the game is the story. Let's see, there are too many fighters and the MK Universe is unbalanced and they have to fight for it? What a riveting story. Hell, maybe in the next installment, you should have them fight for the control of an ice cream truck. But, despite the crappy story, you have to admit the opening movie was cool.

Music & Sound: The music is pretty neat. Nice oriental theme, plus the sound is good too. But what bugs me is Sheeva. She sounds like a man. What, did she have a sex-change operation gone horribly wrong?

Graphics: Pretty good graphics, but some of the fighters (Most notably Sonya and Johnny Cage) have the same sprites from MK: Deadly Alliance and MK: Deception. How lazy can they be? They didn't have time to at least make new character sprites?

MKA is a game which I think has potential, but it would have been best to make it on the 360 and PS3. That way, it could have been better. But I will say this: MKA can be good for a little bit, then you'll just get bored with it. If you want a good MK game, play Deception. It's a lot better.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 04/17/08

Game Release: Mortal Kombat: Armageddon (US, 10/11/06)