Review by Roguesquad6

"A disappointing final Mortal Kombat game for the Xbox"

Mortal Kombat Armageddon was the last Mortal Kombat game to hit the Xbox and PS2 consoles. It is, admittedly, a decent fighting game, but isn't as good as the previous installment, Mortal Kombat Deception. Not the best Mortal Kombat game by any means, but if you're looking for some lasting entertainment and value, I say this game is at least worth a rental.

The graphics for this game are good, but for this aged console, they are pretty sub par and nothing spectacular compared to MK Deception's. The graphics show why this game was the last released of its generation.

Sound/Music: 9/10
The sound in the game is fairly adequate and delivers. Nothing seems out of place when you're playing the game normally, and everything sounds right, just like it should in a fighting game. I thought the oriental music in the game was a nice added touch.

The fighting in this game is pretty good, I must say. The game's physics seem in place and the fighting is well balanced. I preferred the preset fatalities from the former game, but I don't use Kreate-A-Fatality so it doesn't detract from the overall experience. The arenas in the game are neat and I liked the preset death traps available in them.

Konquest: 6/10
More of a chore to complete than actually having fun. It is basically the same engine as MK Shaolin Monk's. You can collect relics throughout this mode, and if you missed one, too bad, you can't go back and get it. Once you finish Konquest, you must replay it to get anything you missed. How stupid. I miss Deception's free roam Konquest mode, and how you could continue playing even after you apparently finish the story. You go around the MK Universe fighting MK characters this time around.

Motor Kombat: 6/10
A Mario Kart ripoff, to say the least, and it actually may consume some of your time. I suppose this mode is good for multiplayer, but that's it. Not fun playing alone, especially since there are no unlockables found in this mode. Deception's Tetris-like Puzzle game and Chess Kombat are most certainly better than what this game offers as an extra. Not worth playing alone, but give it a try.

Kreate-A-Fighter: 9/10
Something new was added to this game that is actually worthwhile. I love how you could create your own characters with in-depth features available, but some options I felt were lacking. This is definitely good for someone whose tired of playing the game's MK characters. I personally haven't used this option yet, but it may attract to some.

Roster: 7/10
Now every Mortal Kombat character from every previous installment is available in this game. A whopping 60+ characters is the entire roster for MK Armageddon. Now to Midway, I give them credit for attempting to make this game replayable, however quantity does not equal quality. Too many characters is a turn off for me, and who wants to waste their time mastering every single character this game has to offer? The roster is quite large, which may be appealing to some, but it simply does not make the game any more replayable than it currently is.

I thought the story was underdeveloped and quite uninteresting, especially since Konquest itself is a chore to complete. The story is actually not enhanced, and is worse than Deception's story, which I thought at least was interesting. Too many characters in the MK universe make the story quite unbalanced, and they are fighting for the power of a god. The movie at the beginning of the game was pretty cool to watch, though. The story is too unbalanced given the excessive quantity of some features in MK Armageddon.

Replayability: 6/10
Not much replayability. You can collect relics and unlock things in the Krypt and Konquest mode, sure, but once you've done that you've totally beaten the entire game. Arcade mode should be at least somewhat replayable. Kreate-A-Fighter should also add some replayability. Motor Kombat isn't that great, however, so it is just another useless MK Armageddon feature.

To conclude this review, MK Armageddon had a lot of potential to be a good fighting game, but ultimately it fails to satisfy. Maybe if it was released for PS3 and Xbox 360 instead. The Xbox and PS2 are still good consoles, but are aging. I would recommend a rental for this game, but do not buy it, it is not worth it. If you want a good fighting game, buy Mortal Kombat Deception. The last Mortal Kombat game for the Xbox/PS2 generation sadly leaves you disappointed and wanting more.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 01/23/09

Game Release: Mortal Kombat: Armageddon (US, 10/11/06)