"Not that bad, not bad at all"

I must say, as a first time player to the Lego Star Wars Series, I am very very pleased and impressed. The game is very simple, very easy to play, and very addictive. Add that with tons of unlockable characters, in which are vital in exploring the more areas in a given level. And the tons of game play time makes this a sleeper game in my mind.

Set in the Original Star Wars Trilogy of New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and The Return of The Jedi. You play the Characters you know and love from the Original Trilogy with the humor of Legos.

Gameplay/Controls - 9.5/10

The game boasts a simple game play and with relatively easy to know buttons. The XBox version really uses the amount of buttons it has well, without confusing it's plays on what to push and when. Many of the buttons though are not used for the same character and also has different functions. That could be the only downside at first, but easy to remember after repetition.

As for the gameplay you get to do your standard roam around levels on a linear scale. But like I said a bit earlier, You get to unlock different parts of each level with different characters in your party. Play modes are story mode which follows the story of the movies, with a little childish humor. And the other is Free Play which allows you to redo a level with your choice of character and party to further explore the level for more secrets and upgrades.

Before each level you are able to explore Mos Eisley, the main staging point and where you always start when you play the game. There you can buy characters you unlock through the code system, make your own people with the bacta tanks, and lastly of course go into the different levels in the game. It's cool to see the interaction of each of the characters you unlock in Mos Eisley, usually fights breakout with the Imperials and Rebels which can be quite fun to take part in.

Like I said about unlocking areas in each level, the more experience and characters you gain, secret levels unlock along the way as well. Make this game open to long long hours of addictive fun.

Only downside that I can think of is that on 1 player mode, your AI companion doesn't attack as much as you would like.

Graphic and Sounds - 8/10

Eh, not the greatest of looking games, but I think the whole lego look is a fresh breather from some of the over CGIed games. Sound is taken from the soundtracks of the movies. Other than that really I give it a solid 8, it was nothing too fancy, but watching legos run around with lightsabers and blasters I thought was cute.

Replayability - 10/10

This of course is the biggest question that everyone asks when buying a game. With the countless number of things to unlock, with different places to explore in a given level, you are almost assured to play this game till the end and unlock everything. It's simply game and child like humor really makes it a fun game to play without frustrations. One downside I can think of might be that in the beginning of the game lack of characters hinders full exploration of levels.

Buy or Rent

For an XBox game as fun this for only 40 bucks it's worth buying. What more could you ask for in a game, fun gameplay, a good story-line based on a epic saga, and the unique way to play the Star Wars characters you know and love. It's a must for any fan of the Original Trilogy.

Final Thoughts

What more really can I say, as a fan of the Original Trilogy, I was quite amazed and surprised with the game. I love it so much that I feel like maybe playing the first Lego Star Wars game.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 09/19/06