Review by RSVP the ASAP

"Fun, polished, and addictive...what every game should be like!"

I didn't hesitate to buy this after the first Lego Star Wars, and let me say that this game is one of the best and most entertaining I have every played. It succeeds on every level and scores an 11 on the fun scale.

Graphics-10/10: For graphics whores who complain about textures and bump-mapping and all the rest, just think: these are Legos, for Pete's sake; this is no Gears of War or Splinter Cell. But for what it is, it has clean, polished graphics. The worlds are colorful and the environments explode and react appropriately. And as a comedic plus, the Legos are accurately rendered and represented. The opening scene shows a starship's underside...made with a giant 4x2 piece lego as its base. Load times are pretty quick and nothing glitches. And the fact that everything is just what it should be caps it all nicely.

Gameplay-a million/10: Suffice it to say that this game will keep you busy for a year or two. The sheer amount of unlockable material blew my mind away. There are literally thousands of things to do and to unlock. Once you unlock free play mode for each chapter, you can return to each chapter with different characters and unlock different stuff. Collecting studs (the "currency" of the game) is also a fun task. Studs can be found everywhere: blowing things up and killing enemies are the most common ways to get studs. The cooperative play is also fantastic (although it usually becomes a stud collecting contest). It's not a life-based game, so you can die and try missions over and over again with a friend. And did I mention that it's a blast to play? Once you start the co-op, you likely won't stop. This is not an intricate game; you will use two buttons most of the time. But this is a fantastic way to take a break from frustrating games where strategy and tactics dominate. Lego Star Wars takes you back to a day when games where just two buttons anyway, and pushing two buttons has never been more fun. Good games aren't always complex. Good games are simply games that do not require you to "figure" things out. Think about good shooting games...do you have to think about the controller and the buttons after a week of playing it? Think about good RPGs...do you think about the interface or the controls after you get into it? Now think about adventure games like Lego Star Wars...what makes it a good game? Everything is all here for you!

Sound-10/10: With the same sweeping Star Wars soundtrack as every other piece of Star Wars media out there, the music does its job. And with explosions and laser-fire accurately created, there's not doubt that you are in a Star Wars world.

I give this a 10/10. It's hard to describe a game in technical terms when it's just fun, polished, addictive. Buy it. I guarantee you won't be disappointed. And if you are...eh, you won't be.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/16/07