Question from britneyfox

Can I stop the Markarth guards from attacking me?

I finished a quest involving finding out information about all the suspicious activity happening around the town and the guards weren't happy about it. They blamed me on all the murders around town and now I'm not allowed back in the town without guards attacking me.
While I was there, I started a quest called House of Horrors but I didn't finish it yet. I just found the priest and now it wants me to return to the abandoned house in Markarth.
Is there anyway I would be able to finish the quest or is it a lost cause?

From: gamercollin 3 years ago

I did the same quest and now the guards still are trying to send me to jail. they dont attack me but every time i walk by one they stop me and it wont let me pay off my bounty or go to jail. I either have to fight them or if i accept "go to jail" nothing will happen and they will stop me again 5 seconds later

If your talking about the Forsworn quest then no. They will perpetually hate you now.

I found out that if I go back and accept going to jail, I get put into a prison and am able to escape. The Markarth guards stop attacking me for long enough to finish the quests but I believe they are still suspicious of me because they will say I'm trespassing or randomly start to fight me if I start talking to the wrong person.

Going to jail after being blamed for the murders is part of the quest, there you'll have to kill the king and you will escape and get all your items back, if you still have problems after that then this post will help you further.

gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/61063302

I'm having the same issue. Can't pay off my bounty or go to jail it just loops back and if you exit the dialogue guards attack, I surrender and offer to go to jail and it loops again. I have a bunch of quests and I can't get into the city.

Tried the link had to fight off like twenty guards at the Temple of Talos before the dialogue box came up and when I tried to submit it looped back to "whats the problem?"

I had the same problem. Here's the deal, when it gives you an option to say "whats the problem" there is another option just above it which is "... "

How are we supposed to know that would further the conversation?

Anyway, saying "... " will give you other dialogue options, and working around them eventually reveals that you can pay your bounty, which is the only way to end the madness. By the time I figured this out my bountry was over 21,000 since i'd killed all the city guards, all the guards outside, and some in the keep.

What this meant to me is that I could only find guards in the shrine of talos. Basically the game thinks the quest never ended because I'd previously gone to jail. In my case, I had to act quickly once in the shrine because only one guard will talk to you, and during that his two buddies are beating you to death.

So here is the deal, save your game immediately before encountering the Markarth guards, because theyll probably kill you half a dozen times before you get to the pay bounty option. And remember that "... " is how you contine the dialogue. Dont waste time in the "whats the problem" loop.

I played for a long time away from markarth and the guards just forgot

What I did was join the circle in whitrun. become a warewolf. then go into markarth and kill all the guards.