Is there a way to get Tolfdir to fire the Spell in First Lessons?

1. He won't fire when I stand on the marker and cast the ward spell.

User Info: SuperNaruto11

SuperNaruto11 - 5 years ago
    Ok, I found a definitive solution to this problem that actually works. The idea of it I found on the elder scrolls wiki website, which I will later on put below my commentary on the matter.

So, basically you have to kill one of the npc's in the Hall of Elements. The best one, because of his importance in the quest line is Onmund. You kill Onmund, get out of the college and run towards a guard. (note that the college npc's will try to kill you!) After you speak with the guard, pay the fine 1k that he will offer and then get back to Tolfdir. He will tell you that the accident was very unfortunate or something like that and the proceed the mission to the ruins of Sarthal without finishing the First Lessons quest (The quest will be finished but without the necessity of him actually firing the Firebolt spell on you).

Personally I didn't want to kill Onmund, but that was the only way I could proceed the quest line. I also didn't had any save's and didn't want to go way back, and level again to this quest.

Ok, so here's the quote from elder scrolls wiki, and a direct link to the place where I found the solution.

I hope it will help everyone, that is having this issue.

"If none of the above work, kill one of the new recruits. Onmund is the least-important. Then, run out of the College, pay the bounty to a guard and go back to the Hall of Elements and talk to Tolfdir. "

elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/First_Lessons

All bugs are in the bottom section of the page.

User Info: Ace031

Ace031 - 1 year ago

1. Oh and keep the Ward up or he will say that he doesn't want to hurt you

User Info: WrenchingKhan3

WrenchingKhan3 - 7 months ago 1 0

Answers

1. When i did this quest he wouldnt fire the spell either, i had to put up the ward spell like three times before he actually fired the spell make sure u are looking straight at him so there is no chance of him hitting u or he wont cast it

User Info: StevenShirley22

StevenShirley22 - 5 years ago 2 1
  2. Probably a stupid glitch like mine. Im convinced this quest is rock solid broken for many people until they fine tune the probable outcomes of what happens during the npc's on-rails sequence of actions. read what happened to me. This is the link to my post
    www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/61131353

User Info: Neccoguy21

Neccoguy21 - 5 years ago 1 1
  3. Try holding up the ward longer, it might be hard with 100 mana and no perks. Also if he is stuck pathing wise you can always unrelenting shout him to fix a pathing error

User Info: hogarthundead

hogarthundead (Expert) - 5 years ago 1 1
  4. I had to cast the ward for the full duration of my magicka bar. Took me a few times to realize this.

User Info: stehbaker77

stehbaker77 - 5 years ago 1 1
  5. You have to stand on the marking on the floor and look straight at him. Once you do so, he should start talking to you about preparing yourself. Use the spell to block his attack a couple times and you are done.

User Info: nwanamaker

nwanamaker - 4 years ago 1 1
  6. Look this has happend to me before aswell what happens is he will on cast it when u a certain distance from him if u look down he will stand on a corcle with a eys or something stand on the circle across him and he will fire it u can also try reloading the save game or unrelenting shout him hope this helps

User Info: kanendable

kanendable - 3 years ago 1 1
  7. IF YOU'RE ON PC NO NEED TO KILL ANYONE SOLUTION IS TO GET CONSOLE COMMANDS BY PRESSING '' ~ '' TYPE THE FOLLOWING: SetStage MG01 200
    & YOU ACCOMPLISH THE WARD PROCESS & PROCEED WITH QUEST WHICH STARTS NEXT QUEST.

You can confirm quest phases by looking videos on youtube & for console commands link:
    elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Console_Commands_(Skyrim)
    Quest commands.

User Info: Luk3

Luk3 - 1 year ago 1 1
  8. All you have to do is wait until he gets to the logo on the floor and he will tell you to stand opposite of him and cast your Ward make sure that your follower is not in the way

User Info: WrenchingKhan3

WrenchingKhan3 - 7 months ago 1 0