Why can't I absorb certain dragon souls?

1. I killed a blood dragon in it's roost on an area of the map I have never been to before, but I can't absorb it's soul. I am also unable to learn the word of power from the wall in it's roost.

I'd appreciate any useful input.

User Info: Randomnul3

Randomnul3 - 5 years ago
    Thanks for all the input you guys.
    I know it's not an issue of a soul cap because I've used every soul after I've obtained it.
    I know I didn't get the word during the fight, but I will watch out for that from now on.
    I'm 100% sure I did not kill this dragon previously since I had never even been to that side of the map before, and I'd definitely never learned that word.
    I also figured it might be because of some bounty requirement but I guess I'll just go back to that save and see if I can get it after killing it again.
    To me, Coyote Rivers makes the most sense.

User Info: Randomnul3

Randomnul3 - 5 years ago

1. This is a known bug. In order to prevent dragon soul farming Bethesda made it so that already killed and respawned dragons don't release souls.
    Sometimes the coding knackers up and thinks you've already killed a dragon you've never seen before, thus denying you the soul.
    According to others I've spoken to the word walls are similar so you don't get the same word over and over and similar coding issues can occur.
    Sometimes the dragon glitch can cause the word glitch.
    Apparently this was fixed in the recent patch 1.2 so hopefully you won't be stopped from getting all the words any more.

User Info: Coyote_Rivers

Coyote_Rivers - 5 years ago 0 0

1. This is a bug, try reloading from before killing the dragon.

User Info: hogarthundead

hogarthundead (Expert) - 5 years ago 0 0
  2. I've also found that...if say, a friggin mudcrab or giant gets the killing blow on a dragon, I wouldn't absorb the soul either, but being unable to learn the word is new to me =/

Hope you get it sorted.

User Info: TehRev

TehRev - 5 years ago 0 0
  3. That happened to me once except it was a location I had already been to so idk about the wall however I couldn't devour his soul because I used the marked for death shout and he died the next time he landed so if anything like that happened you should just try again

User Info: PsychoL1027

PsychoL1027 - 5 years ago 0 0
  4. This has happened to me twice, both times were with Frost Dragons. The first time I reloaded three times before I gave up, the second time it was a one hit kill which initiated an attack animation (jump on head stab with dagger kind of thing). My assumption at the time, was that it had to do with a, yet undiscovered but pending, bounty quest.
    Not being able to read the word though, that is new. You sure it didn't happen to you during combat and you didn't notice?

User Info: Kaine999

Kaine999 - 5 years ago 0 0
  5. Also, if you have 30 dragon souls, you cant absorb any more.

User Info: Andom5712

Andom5712 - 5 years ago 0 0
  6. SImilar to what Andom5712 said, but i found that would can only have 15 dragon souls stored. twice i hit 15 and could no longer take in any more

User Info: bobjesbusiii

bobjesbusiii - 5 years ago 0 0
  7. Yeah i thought the problem was that i just could not take respawned dragon souls, but the only thing that happened with the word walls was that i would hear the music and the noise of the wall when i got close to it, but there would be no effects and no new word. oh well, it stoppd anyway.

User Info: saitaria

saitaria - 5 years ago 0 0