Frost/Fire resistance against dragons?

1. Does increasing your fire or frost resistance help against dragons of the same type? As a stage 4 vampire I should have 100% frost resistance, but I'm still taking damage from frost dragons' ice breath attacks. Can anyone else confirm this or provide any explanation?

I think the breath attack may be counted as a shout and therefore does some crazy "shout" type damage or something that's not affected by resistances...but other than that I really can't think of anything.

User Info: hyoujin18

hyoujin18 - 4 years ago
    I believe I found some patch notes relevant to my question.
    www.bethblog.com/2011/12/07/skyrim-update-1-3-now-on-steam/
    Specifically the bit about "Fixed magic resistances not calculating properly." Anyone know if this fixed or affects dragons' breath attacks?

User Info: hyoujin18

hyoujin18 - 4 years ago
    Skyrim1012, that sounds like bs.
    In fact I know it is because I've looked at my active effects during the day and the only penalties a vampire takes in sunlight is to health, magicka, and stamina...resistance to frost and weakness to fire remain unchanged. Official strategy guide confirms this.
    Anyone who actually knows something about the game willing to give it a go?

Oh yeah, and after playing for a while I can confirm that I take less damage from frost spells while my frost resistance is raised thanks to my vampirism, but still not sure about dragons. This is after I installed the latest update (see above).
    I normally play on master difficulty so I'm not sure if its my weakness to fire that's making me die so quickly against fire dragons or just the sheer damage dealt by master difficulty fire breath. That's not really my concern though. I'd really like to know if 100% frost resistance actually makes me immune to a dragon's frost breath attack in practice...as I understand it that 100% frost resistance was a lie before update 1.3 happened.

User Info: hyoujin18

hyoujin18 - 4 years ago

Answers

1. if you have a high Enchantment skill you can endow all your apparel ,necklaces ,rings and amulets with fire and frost resistances,I take minor damage from dragons and with my close wounds spell ,easily overcome any dragon,plus I have the aid of the twin Atronachs / frost or fire.

User Info: yanriel

yanriel - 4 years ago 0 0
  2. Save fire resistence for your boots. And frost resistence for a shield, for your follower. Enchant your armor, ring, and amulet with Enhance Health Regeneration. For even better results, jack up your Heavy Armor rating and use ebony or daedric armor, and use an Argonian. Lower-level characters will get their butts kicked eaisly by dragons. Higher level characters can shrug off damage more readily, as long as they've invested in more health and armor levels. Also, beef up your smithing skill so you can enhance the armor better, and can enhance enchanted armor. Then, you can become practically invincible. The game typically wants you to attack dragons from a safe distance, using a bow.

User Info: VladYvhv

VladYvhv - 1 year ago 0 0