Review by Herbertmoon

"Skyrim is everything and more you could hope for in an RPG"

The Elder Scrolls Skyrim is the fifth installment into the Elder Scrolls series and quite possibly the best. Skyrim was incredibly hyped before its release, and lets just say its lived up to all of that and gone further than I had expected.

Story: Anyone who has played Oblivion knows that the story was nothing special, however in Skyrim there seems to be a renewed since of meaning to the main quest. Alduin returning to destroy the world along with the return of dragon foes, the empire in crisis and a Nordic resistance growing day by day. The world is in chaos much like during the Oblivion crisis, however in Skyrim the story is more intricate, deeper and more meaningful. The main quest is a great step-up from that of Oblivions, and even Morrowinds. 10/10

Game play: The new combat style is very, very appealing. New features like duel-wielding magic or one-hand swords, dragon shouts, companions to fight along with you, shield bashing, so much stuff has been added and attributes and skills overhauled. Though the combat is similar to that of its predecessors the new features make it refreshing and exciting. With the addition of perks it makes becoming a dynamic character easier and more enjoyable to your desirable combat style. Shields have endured a drastic change and are finally a useful tool in using, magic is feels deadlier, the finishing moves are a great little addition that just add a great effect. Then there's Skyrim itself, the atmosphere is just amazing. The feel you get when you first leave the starting cave, all the bells and whistles make you feel like you're there, yet again Bethesdas attention to detail and environment enhance the game and bring it to a new level. Then there's jobs and professions, and lets just say it was a pleasant surprise. To be honest I was a bit worried when I heard professions like Smithing and Mining and all that jazz. However Blacksmithing ended up being better then I could have imagined, its usefulness was beyond helpful, and mining became a fun little task to get done. There's just so much you can do and so much customization you can put into your character it's hard to even convey. 10/10

Music: This soundtrack is just absolutely beautiful, composed by Jeremy Soule them same person who composed the music to games like Morrowind, Oblivion, Knights of the Old Republic and Secret of Evermore. Lets just say this soundtrack is great and adds great dramatic effect and helps set up the atmosphere to the game itself. 10/10

Graphics: This is an Elder Scrolls game, no surprise here. The attention to detail, beautiful landscapes, cold, snow topped mountains and damp dark caves. From the smallest flower to the biggest mountain, Skyrim is a stunning game, there's really nothing more to be said. 10/10

Final Thoughts and Sidenotes: This game was really everything I had hoped for and more. The bringing back of the Dark Brotherhood, the Thieves Guild, Enchanting and everything that has made Morrowind and Oblivion what it was and adding on to it. This review hasn't even scratched the surface that is Skyrim, its lived up and surpassed all the hype. I can't remember the last time I had ever been this excited for a game, and it actually was and is better then everything I had hoped for and wanted. If your even considering buying this do it, you wont regret it. 10/10

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/18/11

Game Release: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (US, 11/11/11)