Review by ChronoCactaur

"Truly a Sonic for the Generations"

Sonic The Hedgehog has been through some rough patches in recent years, but he's recently picked himself up and seems to be back on his feet since last year's Sonic Colors, though in my book he still didn't seem quite there. Sonic Generations looks to rectify any of those issues.

In a'lot of ways, Generations can be viewed as both a celebration as well as a brand new title. It introduced an old concept in Classic Sonic, and the current Modern Sonic model. What is different now is that the Modern Sonic sections to have incorporated a bit of Adventure Sonic gameplay this time around. Yes, it's no longer all about boosting to win(Well you CAN, but you'll probaly die); Generations literally harkens back to a time where a Sonic The Hedgehog game was heralded with the likes of Nintendo's own IPs, and also serves as a nostalgia trip for fans of all generations.

You start off the game playing in Classic Green Hill. Thrust into the action, you see Sonic is indeed celebrating his 20th birthday, chili dogs et all. What is different now is that a new menace presents itself, a menace unlike any Sonic has ever seen: The Time Eater. It is this new menace that is responsible for the meeting of the two Sonics and the explanation for Generations' premise.

After clearing the first three levels, you'll get a better understanding of the storyline, but you'll also notice the gameplay is not quite the same as Colors or Unleashed. No, starting as soon as Sky Sanctuary you'll find Modern Sonic took a very deserved step backwards to the days where Sonic wasen't all about boosting, tight turns, random gaps in the wall or what have you. Modern Sonic actually takes it upon himself to explore around him once in a while in this adventure, and that is very welcome here.

The best part is that, as is recent trending in Sonic games, you only play as Sonic, be it Classic or Modern. SEGA did manage to implement his friends in special missions where they help him, but they are hit or miss. Speaking of missions, upon completing acts 1-2 of each set of three levels, you'll find 10 missions for each level, 5 per Sonic. This also harkens back to the Adventure days, specifically Adventure 2, except there is more variety in missions. It's no longer "Mission 2 - Collect 100 Rings" then "Mission 3 - Find Lost Chao", it's truly unpredictable your first run.

If you're a Sonic fan who's been dying for a halfway decent Sonic game to play this gen, Generations is the best that is offered for the HD systems. But really, this is a game that is not to be missed. You will feel like a child once more, and you won't have to put up with as much bullcrap as recent Sonic games try to throw.

On a side-note, I must warn you that the packaging of the game leaves a'lot to be desired. Upon opening you'll find all you get is a disc and a 4-page "manual", if you can call it that. It's really more of a pamphlet. Normally I wouldn't rant about the packaging in a review, but I think for Sonic The Hedgehog's 20th anniversary title the complaints are well deserved. Until you play the game, you'll probaly feel ripped off, as did I, but your frustration will die down upon playing the game. Still, I feel I should be a decent guy and let everyone know, as it's not like SEGA will advertise this or anything.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/11

Game Release: Sonic Generations (US, 11/01/11)