Review by KeredsBlaze

"An Ending to Ezio's Trilogy"

Assassins Creed: Revelations

Revelations maintains the same typical free running theme of the previous games and all of the benefits of new tools and gadgets including a new hookblade which is used to zipline across the landscape and for some new assassination moves. The multiplayer returns as well and is still a blast to play. I think the AC series might have my favorite form of mp just because it is different from the rest, and I enjoy the feeling of the predator/prey gametype. Things I didn't like about Revelations gameplay were the new bomb crafting and tower defense games. The assassins and the guild challenges were a great addition that was kept from Brotherhood, however the bomb crafting and tower defense seemed to be too much. They weren't terrible, they just didn't work. The developers wanted to continue to add and improve, but they just did too much in this case. I also thought that the controls felt a bit clunkier this time around when free running, which shouldn't have been the case, it may have just been me. The puzzle sequences which take place with Desmond are ok, not terrible, not nothing fantastic either, if you are a platforming fan you are sure to enjoy them.

The story to the game isn't terrible by any means, it is just kind of average. It is what you expect, the twists are minor, and Ezio's goal is clear from the beginning. Ezio is a fantastic character, but you can only give him so much story to carry out, it was anything that kept me from wanting to continue, but it felt like the developers were starting to grasp at straws at this point. AC3 appears to be a fresh new take on things. We will see.

Length: 8/10
About what you expect from an AC game. You can probably get 20-25 hours out of the game if you want to finish almost everything. The multiplayer adds a lot of value, but if you are only interested in finishing the story, it can be relatively short.

Visuals: 9/10
One thing I love about the AC series is the real life visuals. So many games are focused on creating a fantasy environment, yet AC takes historical landmarks and renders them into the game almost flawlessly. It is great to learn about these different areas of the world as you play through the game, and every building, temple, and tower looks so lifelike.

Characters: 8.5/10
Like I said before, Ezio Auditore is a fantastic character and has carried the last 3 AC games a long way, however one man can only do so much, and have so much to tell. Ezio's new love interest Sophia is interesting, as are some of the characters that Ezio meets in Constantinople. I was never a huge fan of Altair, but if you are, you do get to learn about him quite a bit in this game, and it sheds light on who we was and what his dream was for the Creed. This game has some solid characters, but only two real memorable ones: Ezio and Altair

Sound/Music: 8.5/10
Revelations has great sound and music. The last couple of AC games have really surprised and impressed me in this department. I don't really expect much from these games in terms of soundtracks, however Revelations had some great soothing tones, and melodies that fit with the atmosphere. Nothing fast paced or upbeat however.
--------------------------------------
Pros
--Fantastic Multiplayer
--Constantinople looks fantastic
--Continued mechanics of Assassins Creed: Brotherhood
--Ezio and Altair both make appearances
---------------
Cons
--Bomb crafting and tower defense aren't needed
--Story is straightforward and lacks excitement
--Not a ton of fresh content
------------------
Overall, AC: Revelations is a good game, I don't know if I would call it great, but if you are a fan of the series, you should definitely play it. If you're not, don't bother. This game might be better as a rental for a week unless you are really interested in the multiplayer. Not disappointing, but this game doesn't have much to set it apart from the last two titles. My number 34 favorite game of all time.
**7.5/10**.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 04/16/12

Game Release: Assassin's Creed: Revelations (US, 11/15/11)