Review by Baseman

"A comperable first person shooter with it's own unique flair, for a good time."

Far Cry 3 is one of those games you hear about through word of mouth and realize that you are going to have to do some research into it before you decide to buy it or not. I never intended to own this game, but something about it reeled me in.

I am one of those gamers who love to be the good guy and do everything that a good guy would do. Save the world, rescue the princess, and all that. Far Cry 3 gives me that opportunity. The premise of the game is that you are a college student who goes on a vacation with your friends when it all goes terribly wrong and everyone is stranded and trapped on a pirate infested island. You have to fight the pirates off and consider clues and use the land to your advantage and make allies in order to overcome the pirates and find your friends.

The first thing I noticed when I started the story mode out is that graphically, everything looks ‘pastel' like. If you have ever played the Borderlands series of video games, you can imagine that style of image but to a slightly lesser degree. I noticed it immediately and was about to diss the game as cartoon-ish because of it, but then it was something that I quickly overcame. Or maybe I got used to it. If you were to go outside and look at the world in real life and compare the two, it would be obvious. Either way, when you think about it, it adds its own flavor to the Far Cry 3 experience. There is a visible difference between night and day and everything looks how it should. I would say that the graphics hold up to other XBOX 360 titles.

The control scheme is something that pulled me into the grasp of this game even more. I am an avid FPS gamer; I play Call of Duty and the Halo series often. For me to state that this game controls exactly like Call of Duty is an understatement. This is a good thing. Personally, I hate it when developers think that they need to introduce a completely new control scheme that is at odds with what established gamers are already familiar with. Far Cry 3 uses the controls scheme of the established modern shooters flawlessly. I was amazed at how easily I was able to figure out how everything worked without costing myself game progress or any deaths. Guns shoot how they are supposed to. You can interact with objects seamlessly. Everything controls exactly how you would expect. Maybe I have become lazy and jaded as I age, but this was very important to me. I don't want to have to learn anything new and this game gave me that option. Well done.

Ever since I graduated from my 20-inch projection television and its related audio or lack thereof and stepped up to a 27-inch flat screen, I have been using a gaming headset to hear the audio. You may ask, ‘Well, what does this games audio have to offer that I would want to invest in a headset for?' You would be amazed at what you can hear with a headset that you just don't pick up on through your televisions speakers. Since you are on an island presumably on your own against the odds, the element of stealth is very important to survival in this game. Picking up on the very feint footsteps of the enemy means the difference between getting caught and having a garrison of reinforcements calling onto your position, or quietly dispatching everyone with a bow and disabling the alarm system, netting you bonus points.

Everything felt just right with this game. The story mode was long enough to keep me occupied, but short enough to get me involved, if that makes any sense. There is an often-overlooked multiplayer and cooperative mode, which seemed to be an afterthought but after playing a few rounds, it was not as bad as I initially thought. It seemed somewhat buggy, for example, I did not get the achievement I was supposed to get for completing the mission and the game seems to pick the same mission for you to play over and over again, which makes it difficult to get all the achievements. Don't get me wrong, clearly the multiplayer in Far Cry 3 never should be the reason why you buy this game, but any gamer would hope that such problems would be solved pre-release.

To put it bluntly, this game lived up to my personal expectations of a survival like first person shooter game. If you like to be alone and use your instinct and gaming skill, then this game is for you. If you want to play with others, look in the other direction. Far Cry 3 plays very smoothly and gives you many options between weapons and vehicles to operate, but falls short of a great score due to a buggy, haphazard and tacked on multiplayer experience and lack of a story mode co operative session. The good outweigh the bad and as the resident pirate extermination party, I whole-heartedly recommend this game for a good time in a dark, lonesome room.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 01/18/13

Game Release: Far Cry 3 (US, 12/04/12)