Review by Galactus21

"A trip down memory lane..."

It's been over ten years since I played the original Halo. Given the length, I have forgotten most of my experience of the original title. However, I do remember that I enjoyed the original title. As such, this review will only reference the original Halo in brief segments and focus more on the Anniversary title as a standalone title. Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary is a remake of the successful title that propelled Microsoft's Xbox line into stardom. Halo follows the protagonist Master Chief, who is a Spartan, an elite fighter who is combating the aliens known as the Covenant. The Covenant is a group of aliens who are seeking the destruction of the human race.

Initially when I played the first few moments of Halo I did not realize there was a classic mode. Having played this mode, then switching to the remake version, I realized that the improved graphics was substantial. In fact, it looks as good as some of the current Xbox 360 titles. Master Chief, the Covenant, and flood all sport nice character models. The improvement over the original game is quite apparent. The game runs quite smoothly and environments look nice. The musical soundtracks, like Halo titles I have played over the years are also excellent.

Playing through the Halo campaign, the first half of the game was much more enjoyable. Much like the first time around, the moment when the game switches from the Covenant to the Flood as the main protagonists is when the game's quality becomes to dip a bit. Game play for the most part was solid. There are several weapons, but for the most part the pistol and rifle were the main weapons of usage. One qualm however, was the game's AI. While 10 years ago that might have been considered strong AI, it isn't so much so anymore, given the development of video games.

Fire fights are also quite intense. During fights with Covenant, they do a good job of moving around and forcing you to react. Unfortunately, when the flood shows up, the game takes a turn for the worse. In addition, the driving mechanics are quite outdated and boring. During these situations, the controls are clunky and non-responsive. This is quite unfortunate, given that controls during other portions held up quite well over time. Halo Anniversary is still a solid game. I enjoyed most of my experiences during this replay of one of the greatest Xbox titles. While it's apparent some things did not hold up quite well over time, there are other areas where things hold up surprisingly well. Halo Anniversary is definitely worth checking out for nostalgic purposes.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 01/30/12

Game Release: Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary (US, 11/15/11)