Review by shrooboid313

"Obviously not perfect, but no game ever is!"

This review is purely opinion based, you, the reader are completely free to agree or disagree with what it written.

I had never played Minecraft on the computer before this. I was sceptical about playing this game as I thought it would be no fun, but I can honestly say I was surprised about how much I've been playing this and how much time I've put into building what I've built. I can only say that I've found a few flaws and they were only minor at that.

This, for me is where the majority of the flaws were for this game. Most of the time that I've been playing this, the game has run smoothly for me and not really had many problems with the world loading and the world generation. For that I have no quarrels, but the first flaws that I found is that occasionally when I've been playing this version of Minecraft is that it has caused my Xbox360 to crash, it doesn't happen with other games only this one. Another flaws that I've found is that when I've entered the Nether through the Nether Portal (obviously) and when I have tried to return to the regular world through the same portal my game has again crashed when trying to go back to the world so I've had to commit suicide to get back to my spawn in the proper Minecraft world, then have to go back into the nether to get my items. On top of that, in multi-player modes I have noticed that there is lag that occurs quite often which has caused a few problems between my and my friends.

For me, just from what I've seen the graphics are totally on par with the computer version of this game. I'm only saying this because I haven't played the computer version. The graphics are of a very good quality and all of the world has managed to be kept in blocks. I also like the fact that on this game, the trees and buildings cast a shadow, I feel this is a nice addition as in certain games things like trees and buildings don't cast a shadow. This gives the game a certain level of depth over certain other games. It's just a shame that texture packs haven't been released for the Xbox360 version yet.

Gimmicks: 7/10

Since this is pretty much just a basic version of the game, there aren't many gimmicks as of yet so it's very lacking in this department. However there are a view gimmicks, but there are a few. There is still the ability to dye sheep but not keep them, so you could have a temporary techno sheep farm. It's also a shame that you can't use bonemeal to grow mushrooms yet as well.

Replay Value: 9/10

The replay value of this game is amazing, simply due to the fact that it is one of those games, like Animal Crossing, never ends. What I love about this game is the fact that you can build anything your imagination allows, which if you are a big fan will keep you engrossed for a long time. While the world on the console version is large it is limited to one map, as after that you find nothing but ocean, which is a shame. On top of all of this, there are more updates to come, such as the texture packs and the addition of some of the mobs that are on the computer version of Minecraft that aren't on the Xbox360 version as of yet. So even if you're not happy with its contents yet, you have some good updates to look forward to in the future.

Final Verdict: 32/40: B
A good game for now, just a bit lacking in certain areas at the moment which are likely to be fixed with updates.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 07/11/12

Game Release: Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition (EU, 05/09/12)