Review by bornintoshadows

"Not perfect, but still damn good"

Ok. I came into this game being both incredibly excited, and extremely cautious, as I've been burned by zombie games before (I'm looking at you TWD: Survival Instinct!). After spending about 12 hours with it so far, I'm more pleased than disappointed.

Pros:
1. This game is very in-depth. The level of detail in the houses and environments really shows. You'll see little easter eggs everywhere, ranging from the old Romero films, to Shaun of the Dead, to The Walking Dead, to Plants Vs. Zombies, and tons more.

2. Combat seems fluid enough to make you confident, and just realistic enough to make you know when you've made a mistake or taken on too much. There are some camera issues with combat, but so far, it's not been something that has gotten me killed yet, so I can't really say it's a "con".

3. The gameplay in this game is something that has never been done on this scale before. It combines the vehicle mechanics of Dead Island, the sounds and zombies from Left 4 Dead, and merges them in its own way while incorporating in several other mechanics such as resource gathering.

4. The zombies. This is by far the biggest pro I can think of. Taking them on one or two at a time seems relatively easy, but if you find yourself surrounded with more than that, you are going to be hurting (or possibly even killed). The zombies are what gives this game the tension and feeling that nowhere is safe and that danger lurks around every corner.

Cons:

1. The graphical glitches are by far, the biggest con to this game. The graphics themselves aren't bad (ranging around early to mid era Xbox 360 games), but issues with the frame rate, issues with clipping, and occasionally, textures that completely disappear for several moments do cause some issues. Nothing is game-breaking by any means, and it is all something I think could be fixed due to patching.

2. There are some glitches with this game that ARE being patched within the next week or two involving infestations, items falling through floors, etc. These aren't game-breaking, but they do cause a LOT of heartache among the community (the gaming community, not your survivors). But as I've said, we do have confirmation that several of these glitches are being patched. It's just a matter of time.

Overall, I would rate this game an 8/10. It's not perfect, but it isn't trying to be. It's just trying to be a decent zombie game that does some new things, and of that, it accomplishes it's goal. I would definitely recommend purchasing this game as soon as possible. It's 1600 Microsoft Points and you can't go wrong picking up this gem of a zombie game.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 06/11/13

Game Release: State of Decay (US, 06/05/13)