Review by MAX PAIN

"An unfortunate letdown."

Graphics: 10/10 Incredible graphics, it's definitely the best looking Halo game yet. They did an incredible job with the models, especially the the fact that you can shoot armor off of creatures and vehicles.

Sound: 9/10 Incredibly music again, but sometimes they characters make the stupidest statements you can possibly hear. I had some marines nearby me and we were just finishing fighting and he said "Can I get you something to eat Chief?" There were also a bunch of other stupid comments they would make that didn't fit the situation. If maybe they made it so that the Marines made sense when they randomly commented, it would be better.

Gameplay: 10/10 Great control scheme as always. Only difficulty I had was getting used to using the Right Bumper to reload instead of the X Button. An interesting feature, is the ability to reload each weapon individually. Which means you can fire your SMG full auto, while reloading the other one, and have it loaded and ready when you start reloading your first one. An incredibly welcome change. Also, the number of vehicles is just amazing. Especially on-line, you see warthogs and ATVs being driven by players working together. Not to mention one of my favorite new vehicles, the Elephant. Though only available in multi-player, it's just fun to drive a giant mobile tank with people manning turrets.

Storyline: 7/10 Despite it being maybe 6 hours long total, it's a great conclusion to a great story. I still haven't seen a game with a story that I don't even think about skipping the cutscenes. It's incredible. I won't go more into it, because it will spoil it.

Multi-player 10/10 This is where the games shines, unfortunately, it draws away from everything else. They did an incredible job though. Including an experience system which assigns you a Spartan rank.

Summary: The reason I gave the game a 7/10 is because though it is great, it's extremely short, a max of 6 hours, and is more geared toward on-line. You probably won't play through the campaign more then once or twice, so if you don't have Xbox Live Gold, you might not be playing Halo 3 too much. It looks more like they wrote the story, designed multi-player, then fit the story into a campaign. Playing single player seems more like a grind to get from one cutscene to the next. I will say though, that taking down scarabs is really fun. Unfortunately, the hype of this game made it seems like it would take the world by storm, and it did, only to not meet the expectations. Which is why I have to give this a 7/10.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 09/26/07

Game Release: Halo 3 (US, 09/25/07)