Review by Booji_Boy93

"Solo Campaign Review"

As the title suggests I am reviewing Halo 3 based solely on the solo campaign, of which I just finished. I'll begin by saying that I wasn't exactly hyped about H3. I have the first two games, and I enjoy them, but I don't read Halo novels and dress up like the MC for Xbox Live. I think it's fair to say that I had reasonable expectations for this game. I expected Bungie to learn from mistakes they made on the first two games, and do better.

People wanted more weapons, they are here. People wanted more enemies, they got it. People wanted the Arbiter to immolate himself in a bonfire so we wouldn't have him spoil our games anymore, well two out of three ain't bad. You don't play as Arby, but he is with you pretty much the whole game as an invincible sidekick.

On first play through I was struck by how much the graphics have improved. Anyone saying these graphics are "Halo 2.5" quality are not being honest. However, some of the environments are really dark and muddy and enough with the eyestrain.

Music sounds exactly like the first two games. Rehashed for the third time isn't cutting it. They dropped the ball on this. Audio in general wasn't all that great, to be honest. Weapons sounds were weak, and thoroughly unimpressive.

Expect to spend about 7 hours on your first play through the game. Not exactly a lengthy campaign, despite Bungie's assertion that the campaign was where 90% of their workload was applied. That timeframe includes wandering time as the first play through can leave you wondering just where the hell you're supposed to be going. A bit more direction for goals would have been helpful.

"Equipment" has been added to your inventory, and while some are self-explanatory (Invincibility, cloak, etc.) some are just bewildering (radio jamming? wtf?) and their worth seems questionable.

Storyline I couldn't have cared less about. Call me old school, but I have zero patience for narratives and stories unfolding. I want to blow things up, not watch a character cry over a dead comrade for the fiftieth time. I also have issue with Bungie's horrible decision to do "real time" narrative during gameplay ala 'waking flashback.' it was annoying, I usually just wanted Cortana or Gravemind to just shut the hell up so I could get back to shooting things, and for an "action" FPS it's always a bad idea to completely stop the action like that. Doom3 was all but spoiled by the "PDA" device which forced you to take yourself out of the action and sit there and listen to someone yammer about something you don't care about.

As far as overall gameplay, Bungie did it right the first time. I can recommend the Halo games in order of quality by their title: Halo: CE being the best, Halo 3 being the worst.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 09/26/07

Game Release: Halo 3 (US, 09/25/07)