Review by jobz006

"A Great Finish, To An Amazing Fight"

*NOTE* - This review is based on single player campaign mode only.

Introduction:
When "Halo: Combat Evolved" was released as an Xbox launch title, many people were skeptical that another alien shooter would be anywhere as big as it is today. But low and behold, the original Halo set the bar for it's entire genre, combining cutting-edge graphics and amazing gameplay and physics to create the what some view as the perfect shooter. After the ground breaking success of the first game, gamers were treated to another installment in the series "Halo 2". This game played very similarly to the original, with a few added features and updated graphics, and as we all remember, the ending came and left us wanting much, much more. And after one hell of a long wait, it's finally here, so let's get to it, My review of Halo 3.

The story of Halo 3 picks up right where Halo 2 left off, Master Chief has crash landed, The Covenant have invaded earth, Cortana is stuck on a space ship, and hope seems lost for mankind. To try to explain the story without giving too much away or spoiling anything, Halo 3 has the player once again taking control of Master Chief in the battle to save the world, this game takes you all the way from the jungles of Africa, to the far reaches of space and all the way to the climactic ending, which holds a shocking revelation to all who play the game.

Halo 3 plays almost identically to its predecessors, which some, including myself, see as a good thing, the only real difference between the gameplay of Halo 2 and Halo 3 is that a few of the buttons now have different functions, which are easily picked up in a few minutes after starting the game. As always, players will have to use the right combination of brute force and strategy to make it through each mission. Unlike other FPS games, where the player can run into a room full of enemies guns blazing and come out on top, in Halo, that sort of thing can, and will, get you killed.

From amazingly rich jungle environments, to the reflective blue sea, to the cracks in a boulder and the details on a suit of armor, the graphics in Halo 3 are simply stunning. The HD capacity of the Xbox 360 makes for amazing testure and lighting advances, which were impossible with last-gen games. The designs of the enviroments and even the simplest details of weapons and equipment all contribute to the feeling that you are actually in the game.

The sounds in Halo 3, like the graphics, really help the player to feel like their in the game, as well as give an even more epic feeling to some of the larger battles. The original scores we have all come to know from previous games are still here, as well as a few new sounding ones. Aside from the music, the ambiance in each level is simply amazing, contributing, as I said, to the realism of the game.

Flaws:

This game is almost flawless, and the few problems that there are are very minor. In my opinion, the only major flaw in this game was the length. Halo 3 is very short. To put it in perspective, I purchased the game at about midnight last night. I got home and played for about three hours, after class today I played for probobly another four or five hours, so all in all, I would estimate it to about an 8-10 Hour game for the dedicated gamers such as myself, and probobly 12-15 hours for a more casual gamer.

Overall: 9/10:

This game concludes the Halo trilogy perfectly In almost every way, the beautiful environments, gripping sound, enticing story and enthralling gameplay make it almost impossible to put down. Also, when the incredible multiplayer is taken into account, noone can deny that this is a great game. As I mentioned, the only major flaw was the length, but when put into perspective with everything else, this does not have much of a negative effect on the overall product. I would most definately reccomend this game to anyone who liked the first two Halo games, it is well worth the price and the time.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 09/26/07

Game Release: Halo 3 (US, 09/25/07)