Review by MistaStevens

""Is it better than GoW?!" Oh wait, you were looking for an honest Halo 3 review."

The third and "final" installment of the Halo trilogy. Oddly enough, the game doesn't pick up right where Halo 2 left off- which could be remedied by reading a certain comic strip. For me, this was somewhat of a disappointment. I would have loved to have played as Chief right where he left off in Halo 2- aboard the Forerunner ship, in pursuit of the Prophet of Truth. When I began playing, I didn't feel as if I made a transition from Halo 2 to Halo 3, but rather that I'm playing "X amount of time" into the future- can't win em all I guess.

Here's the rundown on the game, and my personal opinions on it.

Storyline: (6/10)

As mentioned in the introduction, I didn't feel as if the game transitioned very well- I'd think that it would be everyone's first impression- although maybe that's just me. As for the story of Halo 3 itself, I'd have to say it was rather on the weak end. Without giving anything away, the story doesn't have many twists or turns, or even a concept that would grasp my attention. I felt that they ended the trilogy in a bland manner. For those who have read the "leaked script"- I felt that the script, whether it was real or written by a crazed Halo fan, would have made for a much better story. I believe that says a lot.

Graphics: (8/10)

Many feel that the graphics are underdeveloped, and that it was a mere "upgrade" to those of Halo 2. I have to say, the graphics are not the best, but the subtleties are amazing. There are a few "jaggies" here and there, but if you take a good look at the lighting effects, the water, and shadows- you'll realize that those seemed to be the key points in Bungie's graphical development. The game does deliver next-gen graphics, but falls a bit short in blowing other games away. Gears fanatics, you've won that one.

Gameplay: (9/10)

A vast improvement from Halo 2. Not only are many previous bugs addressed, but a bunch of new nifty gadgets are available. Without revealing much, there are many new "power-ups" that have a one time use. Many of these can give you a tactical advantage against enemies- both human and AI alike. Many of the weapons have a different feel to them, a much smoother one at that. As for the weapons, there are many more. One gripe I have with this is that many of them are "clones"- as to say that their function doesn't vary so much. As an example: The SMG, Plasma Rifle, and the Brute Spiker. All of these weapons act as "bullet hoses", and don't differ much in functionality. The controls are very well laid out, as is with the previous Halo games. The gameplay is much better than the previous game, overall.

Online: (8/10)

Remember little Twelve year old Jimmy, and his buddies of equal age on Halo 2? Well, that's pretty much what Halo 3 is like. Although, majority of the players are decently mannered, you'll still be occasionally haunted by the screams of the wee ones. As for the game itself- it provides great fun, as well as a bit of a challenge- more so than Halo 2. There are some slight delays, but nothing that's too gamebreaking. Many balance issues have been worked out as well. PP+BR combo anyone? The playlists seem rather odd right now, as you'll play many of the same game types, on the same maps. I'm certain that will be changed. Overall, as with any online enabled game- your online game experience may vary.

Overall: (8/10)

Overall, I felt that the game fell short in a few areas, but made up for it with the gameplay. If you're following the storyline, you may be disappointed like I was. Many people already think that the graphics are, "Meh..." Ultimately, I don't think it fully lived up to everyone's hype, but then again, you are the one who creates the hype, no?

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 09/27/07

Game Release: Halo 3 (US, 09/25/07)