Review by wisdom_cube

"The best game in one of the greatest trilogies in entertainment history"

Halo is more than a video game. It's a pop culture phenomenon. And Master Chief just isn't your average protagonist, he is now ranked up with some of the greatest superhero's in the history of entertainment. So, with these simple truths riding on Bungie's shoulders, they knew they had a lot to live up to in their final installment of the Halo trilogy. With unprecedented hype, and a marketing campaign that rivals blockbuster movies, we have to ask ourselves if Halo 3 truly is game worth this much commotion. Well, to put it simply, it is... Halo 3 kicks butt and takes names all across the video game industry.

Story: 9.5/10
Gone are the convoluted story lines and massive plot holes that we saw in Halo 2. Halo 3 is straight to point the entire game, but still manages to be deep and keep you engaged in what is happening in this virtual world. What is the Gravemind? Will we ever see Cortana again? Does the covenant succeed in finding the Ark? Do we finally finish the fight? All of these questions and more are answered throughout the game.

Graphics: 8.5/10
My one and only gripe with Halo 3. The Xbox 360 is quite a powerful machine; we saw how just one year ago Gears of War shocked us with stunning visuals that ran ultra smooth. Halo 3 has some technically impressive features, but overall feels a bit lacking in the graphics department. There are jaggies on most edges, and the framerate can dip marginally, but nothing affecting the gameplay too badly. The artistic design, however, is second to none as it has been in all halo games.

The real meat of any game, gameplay is what counts the most... and Halo 3 does not disappoint. Just like the previous 2 games, Halo 3's gameplay is some of the best you'll ever experience. The weapons and vehicles control so naturally, and there are many different aspects to this game. You won't just be shooting through narrow corridors anymore, the majority of the levels are in diverse environments that offer multiple routes to your target, and can be played differently every time you start up the game. The enemies react dynamically to your style of play. Launch a bunch of rockets and grenades and they will deploy bubble shields or make quick jumps to cover. Get too close and they will charge for a meele attack. If your hiding behind cover, they won't hesitate to toss a grenade and try to flush you out. Every section of the game requires at least some tactic if you play at the recommended Heroic settings.

Multiplayer: 9.5/10
The trademark Halo multiplayer is back and better than ever. We now have tons of new features for multiplayer, and customizable options have been expanded. The party up system is a great new feature that lets you continue playing with the same people if you so desire right after the match is finished. 4 player Co-op via Xbox Live is the icing on the cake for any one who wants to blast through the campaign with a few buddies. Add in a map editor and saved films, and this multiplayer experience is one that will last you years. Unfortunately we are still only limited to 16 players, and only 11 maps ship on the disc.

Audio:10/10
Voice acting is top notch once again, and the musical score is so amazing it should be sold separately in stores as its own album. Guns, grenades, and equipment all have distinct sounds that make each one unique and recognizable just by hearing it.

This may be the perfect game. It takes everything you could want from a story driven single player experience to a highly customizable online multiplayer mode, and fuses them together to create gaming bliss. If you own a 360, you need to buy Halo 3. If you don't own a 360, then you need to buy one for Halo 3. It's as simple as that folks.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 09/27/07

Game Release: Halo 3 (US, 09/25/07)