Review by BobSmith937

"Does Halo live up to the hype? It certainly does."

Halo 3 has been hyped beyond reason, having posters, adds, and even a soda to hype Halo 3! But does it live up to the hype? Read on to find out.

The graphics are great for this game. From finely detailed character models, to clear bright environments. There is not much to say about the graphics, but Bungie definitely did not push the game to its limits. The are quite a few jaggies, and alot of smeared color on certain objects. Remember, I'm playing on an SDTV so this may affect my score.

Overall:Great graphics, but a few icky spots here and there.

The sounds are great, don't get me wrong. But they seem to be very low. I turned my sound all the way up, but it didn't affect the Assault Rifles low growl. Older weapons, such as the Plasma Rifle, or the Brute Shot, seems to have recycled sounds. Explosions sound great, very engrossing into the action. I like the added sounds like the whine the trip mine makes, or the sound of the shield alarm when your shields are down. Really brings you into the action.

Overall: Engrossing and vicious, the explosions really bring you into the action. The only beef I have is the recycled sounds and quiet new sounds.

Finally the part everyone wants to know about. The gamplay. This gameplay is fantastic, control is great, and weapons are balanced. You will never see everyone using the same weapon (except for the Assault Rifle, everyone loves that), and you are always deciding which weapon to use. Should I use dual Maulers or Battle Rifle? The choice is yours. Vehicles are fun to use, and new additions to the vehicular roster, like the Chopper, are very fun to use, and bring you in.

Overall: Great engrossing gameplay, new weapons are fun to use, new vehicles are fun to use.

I won't go in depth on it, but a great and surprising end to the story makes me give this a 9.

Overall: Story is kind of bleh until the end, which is great and exciting.

Multiplayer: 9/10

Multiplayer is what has established Halo as one of gamings greats. More choices for customization, revamped matchmaking, and extremely fun Co-op.

Customization has been completely revamped, from customizing body armor and helmets to more options for your insignia. Cool new helmets (such as my personal favorite, EVA) and shoulder armor really establishes your own look. Elites haven't been thrown in and forgotten by Bungie this time. Elite hitboxes are smaller than Halo 2's hitboxes, and the new armor looks cool for once.

Matchmaking has more options than ever before, with new categories. Ranked, your standard ranked games, to Social, where people are generally laid-back and play for fun. Basic Training is for the newbs, which is a good addition to the game types. You also now have a rank and skill meter, the rank meter is ran off you experience points (i.e. 10 exp makes you a Corporal), while the skill meter is ran off your in-game performance.

Overall: Great multiplayer, but sometimes stifled by the swearing, stuck-up 12-year-olds.

Buy or Rent?

Definitely a buy if you have Xbox Live, but if you don't the content is rather lacking.

Score Rundown:

Multiplayer: 9/10

BUY if you have Live, RENT if you don't have Live.

Hope you enjoyed the review! ; )

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 09/28/07

Game Release: Halo 3 (US, 09/25/07)