Review by Xys` Tel Unaki

"Good Game Bungie. Halo 3 still isnt anywhere near perfect though!"

Good Game Bungie. Halo 3 still isnt anywhere near perfect though!

Bungie was small and didn't have a fanbase as large as today's when it started with Myth. Today, it is probably the most known 3rd Party Publisher to date with all-time record launch sales, toppling most first week sales in one night, with this little thing called Halo 3, sequel/triquil to Halo: Combat Evolved.

I am giving my honest thoughts on this game because I have covered most of it myself and feel that the users deserve a real honest review.

Gameplay for this game is recycled again from Halo: Combat Evolved. Of course, it is still pretty decent but one can only stick so many grunts with Plasma Grenades and watching them run into their buddies and not get bored with it. The AI in this game isn't really as improved as the other reviews say. Sure, they duck and cover but that's mostly during grenade frenzies. And most shooters offer the same "Improved AI." One of the things I don't like about the gameplay is that the enemy AI has ADD. If I am playing with my partners on Co-op, and I am fighting a Brute or a Wraith who is trying to get me, they will turn to my buddy if a shot hits them even though I am sometimes more of a threat than my friend. Now, remember the previous two games' Legendary modes where the Marines were one-hit meatshields? Their AI was greatly improved and now, from what I have seen in solo mode, a few, if not more, marines can survive throughout 90% of the level! I love my marines now. Oh and don't forget the added weapons and vehicles. Bungie really did a number on me and I saw vehicles and weapons they haven't even announced

Multiplayer: 7/10

The Multiplayer for this game deserves it's own section. I love multiplayer because it gives me a chance to relieve some stress after work or school. You can now customize the armor of your Spartan or Elite with armors that are unlocked by completing a certain achievment, most of which are done within the Ranked Playlists of Matchmaking. In Matchmaking, you are pitted against different people of different skill levels, noted beside their name with their rank insignia, in game types such as Slayer, Objective, CTF, etc. However, there are quite a few problems with matchmaking. First is the "Games Found" problem where you can have around 25 games noted by the screen and none of them are able to be connected to. The other problem is that some gametypes are more common than others and those types are usually the unfavored ones that no one likes. Besides Matchmaking, you can now do Forge, which is an awesome little feature, because it allows you to tweak maps to use as custom maps for custom games and make things more fun, more challenging, or more annoying. After Forge comes the Theater where you can now view your previous 25, I think that's the number, matches from campaign and multiplayer and view it from ANY angle. This means you can zoom around the map in free flight, or switch cameras to watch the action from someone else's point of view. You may also take snapshots from Theater and post them to the forums on Bungie's website. Good one Bungie.

I actually loved this story more than the first two. It had more meat to it. However, I do think that it seems to jump to the next part of the story too quick. Even so, it is actually well-done with great voice-acting unlike so many of the other First-Person-Shooters. My score would actually be a 6 but the newest feature, 4 Player Co-op, easily adds a lot more enjoyment. There is nothing that can compare to fighting off the Covenant with three of your Xbox Live buddies.

Graphics/Sound: 7/10

The sound is mostly the same as before. Not much differnece except the dialogue. There's still the occassional random Marine who smarts off to the Covenant in the middle of a fight. The graphics are nicer and everything is a bit more... Shiny. There are still no bullet marks or anything on bodies, or armor, after being killed which would have made it a lot better. Otherwise, it's just the usual next-gen graphic style. Kind of dissapointed Bungie.

Playtime/Replayability: 7/10

It's the average amount of time to complete as another FPS. Around 9 hours. But, playing on Legendary can increase play time from 9 hours to about 16 hours. After beating the game, you may want to go back and find the easter eggs and skulls. Each skull has a special affect that adds to gameplay, making it more challenging and fun. One skull even has exploding confetti heads! Highly replayable until everything is found and you have ran the levels too many times to run it with your eyes closed.

I recommend buying the game definately. Try and get the Collector's Edition if possible. It has some decent non-CD extras and the bonus disc is great. It includes artwork, a making-of and a fun little Halo themed puzzle game. If you do rent it, make sure you can play it for about two weeks before

Final Score: 7/10 (Averaged)

The game is good enough and deserves my final score. I am sure some of you may disagree. See you guys in the game!

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 10/08/07

Game Release: Halo 3 (US, 09/25/07)