Review by TehMeatboy

"Sir, Finishing This Fight."

Ah yes, Halo 3. I don't think I've ever seen so much hype for a sequel to a less-than-stellar game. Halo 2 was alright, don't get me wrong, but it's only real good quality was multiplayer. Anyways, back to Halo 3.

Storyline: 9.3/10
First thing is first. I played the campaign first, so I'm reviewing it first. Rather well done, only a few small complaints. I would've rather picked up where Halo 2 left off, rather than a random point in time afterwards. (Although, all you have to do to find out what happens between H2 and H3 is read a certain comic) Other than this, it is very fulfilling, and so ends the trilogy on an excellent note. Although...
SPOILER ALERT(kind of)
The ending is a bit of a cliff hanger. Is bungie trying to give themselves a launch point for a spin-off?
END SPOILER

Multiplayer: 9.8/10
We all know this is where Halo shines, and why it sells so well. Halo 3 does not disappoint. So many new weapons, vehicles, and equipment to use, ah, variety is good. My only complaint is that some weapons are kind of clones. (i.e. SMG, Plasma Rifle, and Spiker) But there are so many dual-wield combos, things to do with equipment, multiplayer is just full of win. Gametypes can be edited so much more now. For instance, On a game of Juggernaut, you can make whoever the Juggernaut is have infinite ammo, camoflaged, 2x as fast, can jump 2x as high, invulnerable to most damage, and have one-hit kills. You can expand the motion sensor, and even make the sensor a radar. Gametypes really become your own in Halo 3.

You can't really compare Gears of War to Halo 3. Two completely different games. Gears of War does look great, but Halo 3 uses many more colors and has much more going on on-screen to really be a fair comparison. Halo 3's graphics though, are INCREDIBLE. It's the subtleties that really get it. The water effects are really breathtaking, the scenery, REAL-TIME reflections on MC's visor. But there are two parts in the game that really sold the graphics for me.
SPOILER ALERT
On Tsavo Highway, you exit out of a tunnel, only to see a Covenant Battle Cruiser fly very low overhead towards the "Ark" (It's not really the Ark, but I don't know what else to call it.) This is done without a brief loading or anything. It just happens. No pause at all.

The other is when you are on the Ark. Commander Keyes decides to fly you and your allies in some Scorpions on a cliff which you are standing. Look out past the cliff, and you see her ship, the Forward Unto Dawn come fly in and land on the f***ing cliff, blowing away all debris of the battle that had just taken place. Again, it's done without any pause to load.
END SPOILER

Online: 7.5/10
Ok, I was expecting so much more for the online. Granted, there are improvements, but it's basically semi-organized chaos. Matchmaking for Ranked and social playlists is good, but where are the lobbies for Custom Games and Forge? Not really done so well bungie, considering instead of delivering what was promised online, you just dropped part of it. I thought better of you.

Forge: 8.9/10
I had to give it it's own review. Forge is amazing. It is a real time map editor that lets you become a Monitor (such as 343 Guilty Spark and 2401 Penitent Tangent are) and fly around, making changes and adjustments to your favorite maps. Think a shotgun should spawn on the beach? Put one down. Want to have a way up to the top of the Valhalla towers? Put some teleporters down. You can edit maps specifically for certain gametypes, or just play gametypes on Forge and help your teammates out! Need a better sniping point for a buddy? No problem, have them jump on a crate, and take them on a magic carpet ride by carrying the crate around! Forge really added new dimensions to the Halo franchise.

Final Thoughts
Definately worth buying. No doubt in my mind. Is it worth buying an Xbox 360 just for this game? Maybe, but there's other great games out too, like GOW. Halo 3 definately lived up to the hype. But, it's not too much of a surprise, after all:
Third Time's a Charm.

Halo 3 is a great way to Finish The Fight.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/08/07

Game Release: Halo 3 (US, 09/25/07)