Review by ssmoh

"Average at best"

Halo 3 could be considered the most anticipated game ever. I certainly did not live up to that hype.

Halo 3 is basically a Halo 2.5, because the gameplay is almost the same, with a few new weapons and much better graphics. Most people will say this game is great because they refuse to accept the fact that Halo can suck. It's a decent game, but there are too many problems and "bs" involved. It really ruins the fun.

The best way to play this game is at a LAN party or something like it. Halo 3 is not good for competitive play because the ranking system is messed up and, quite frankly, it's too easy. Hit regestering is very poor, many times you will snipe an opponent in the head and nothing will happen. It's the same with shotguns and melees. It's all about the connection to the host. Beware off pre-pubescent players on LIVE, Halo 3 has some of the biggest crowds of "5 year olds" of any online community I've seen.

As for the campaign, well it was very dissapointing. Your allies are a joke, you're better off without them theAI is so bad. It's the same with the enemies, they really can't do anything. That could be a good thing though, as it makes Legendary difficulty very easy. The campaign has 9 missions, and as you might guess, it's very short. Bungie obviously made this game for multiplayer (where it really shines).

But the multiplayer is dissapointing too, because the ranking system isn't based off how good you do, it's only off wins and losses. The hit regestering and host connections as I mentioned earlier are also screwed up. Melee is a joke too.

The best thing about this game are the new weapons. They are awesome, and make the game what it is. The new weapons are also the only thing making Halo 3 "Halo 3", and not a Halo 2.5. You have weapons like the Spartan Laser (my personal favorite), Gravity Hammer, spiker, and a new type of grenade-spike grenades and fire grenades. Also, the needler is super powerful, so watch out for that.

Trust me, this game is average at best, there are many shooters that blow this away. Halo 3 is the defining game of "run and gun shooter". There is no strategy involved whatsoever.

Final Word: The only thing keeping Halo 3 alive is the waves of fanboys who are addicted to anything "Halo".

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 03/03/08

Game Release: Halo 3 (US, 09/25/07)