Review by GodOfWarFanatic

"Average at best."

Single-Player Review only.

Halo 3, probaly the most famous FPS of our generation, has been over-hyped like mad, along with the previous 2. It's not "perfect" in anyway, just mediocre. Goldeneye, TimeSplitter 2, Call of Duty 2, Perfect Dark, Half-Life 1 and 2, and possibly Doom and Bioshock are the only FPS's I'd probaly give perfect scores, but that's not relevant. Onto Halo 3. It brings nothing new to the gaming table, maybe except having vehicles more into gameplay than having just one driving parts in a couple levels. But the controls are so awkward, that I don't look forward to it. Probaly the only quality that I would buy this game for is co-op, which not many FPS's have nowadays, so I give Bungie credit for not just putting in multiplayer. This just has all basic FPS elements-that's it. Doesn't add any other gameplay elements from other genres, unless you want to consider going into 3rd-person whilst driving or when you're shooting a turret. Still, no redeeming qualities to fully impress me. I also still don't get what all the hype is about either, most likely the multiplayer, in which no game is perfect unless it also has a good single-player campaign, if any.

Story- 3/10

The Halo series has probaly the most generic storyline in all of Science-Fiction. And not just games, but also movies and literature. The basic concept is aliens take over the world and one man must save the Earth from it's final doom, which is Master Chief in this case.

Graphics- 7/10

I can expect better graphics from a current-gen game. Even though it's not going for the more realistic feel like a lot of FPS's, everything from the enemies to the enviroments to the weapons can be more detailed. It's looks exactly like Halo 2 with a little more lighting and color. I could name countless games on last-gen consoles that look better than this.

Controls- 9/10

Their fine. They work good, but I still prefer Call of Duty 2's control scheme. Not really much to say, except how much I dislike using the analog stick for accelerating. I never liked it, even though I can drive fine.

Sound- 7/10

Sound effects are good and voice-acting is good. Not the best, but enough to come by. Guns sound how they are suppose to sound and you can tell the difference when aliens and humans are talking. That's good enough for me.

Gameplay- 8/10

Just average FPS gameplay with nothing astounding and nothing new. Just everything you expect from a FPS. It's practically exactly as Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2. The levels are shorter and more linear than Halo 2, though, which I don't like. I also never liked how long it took to kill one enemy. I know they're aliens, but you practically die quicker than them. Enemy A.I. is also pretty weak, while marine A.I. has improved. Enemies seem to only duck and cover when you're hurling grenades, marines seem to react in a real-life fashion. Gameplay is decent and if you're an FPS fan, this'll do. It's just nothing to cream yourself over for.

Length- 6/10

The length is short. My one major beef with today's FPS's, they're way too short since they focus on mainly online. If you're skilled, you could probaly beat this within 6-7 hours. At least Halo 2 lasted over 10 hours. Also, unless you're on legendary, this game is easy as hell, making the time not last as long.

Replayability- 9/10

This is all because of co-op. I love playing games with a friend, especially shooters. And with the lack of co-op in many games this generation, Halo is my last resort for fun co-op action. But with the lack of levels, plus the time it takes for each of them, I'd just pop in the previous 2, namely the second one.

Final Rating- 7/10

Now I've been talking about Halo 2 for a little bit in this review. That's because it's superior. The gameplay is more fast-paced, it's longer, and it actually vastly upgraded from Combat Evolved. Halo 3 added what, one new weapon, got rid of the elites and made them allies, and made it shorter? Not enough to satisfy me with the already average gameplay. If you're an FPS fan and don't care what qualities the game has as long as it's not majorly flawed and has fast-paced gameplay, than check it out if you haven't already. I just obviously prefer to play Halo 2 than both of them. I still don't get why people give it perfect scores. Unless you can give me one good reason besides multiplayer, considering I could care less about a FPS having it or not, I will always have low expectations for it. It's average at best, nothing new, as I've mentioned already.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 06/03/08

Game Release: Halo 3 (US, 09/25/07)