Review by SantaIsTheOne

"Meh, fell short of my expectations"

Okay, Halo was one of my favorite Xbox games at release. I still really enjoy playing it. There's just something about it that sets it apart from the second and third releases. I don't quite know what it is. With the release of Halo 2, came Xbox Live online multiplayer. This was really the game's only saving grace for me as I really didn't find it to be a very compelling continuation of the story the first game laid out. The same goes for this release. I just found it to be incredibly tedious and uninteresting.

Graphics - 8/10

The game looks nice, but I've seen better on the 360. Even at the time of this game's release. I think they could have pushed the graphics more. If I'm not mistaken it isn't in 1080p either. I could be wrong and I don't have the box here with me at the time of the review. Complaints aside though, this game still does look nice and it doesn't really do anything to hurt the gameplay. It's still obviously very playable.

Story - 5/10

I thought that with every release of this game, the story got far weaker. I also got very, very sick of the flood by this third game. It just feels like you're playing a less interesting version of the first Halo every time.

Gameplay - 6/10

I haven't actually taken this game online, but I have seen it played online and it looks as fun as the second game was when I played. I've done both split-screen multiplayer and campaign and those are both what you would expect from this game. I had real problems with the campaign mode. I did like that it was more challenging that the previous titles, but what I didn't like was that it was just extremely boring and tedious to get through. After going through the same Flood-infested hallways for an hour, I got real tired of it. The Flood were cool and surprising in the first game, but now the whole idea felt stale and overused. I don't know, I just felt that they could have done more with their "final" Halo release.

Sound - 10/10

I have to say, the soundtrack came through again with a nice mix of softer and heavier rock mixes to go with the mood of the game.

Replay value - If you really end up enjoying this game, it could have a lot of replay value. Once the campaign was finished, I felt very little need to play it again. I mean I beat it on an 360 that I didn't own and now that I have one, I don't even really want to play it other than to get the achievements for beating the game. And even still it doesn't feel worth it to me. If you have the ability to play online though, this game does have some lasting potential.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 08/11/08

Game Release: Halo 3 (US, 09/25/07)