Review by Croabadrin

"Feel the pull"

Halo 3 definitely has its shining moments. Although it also has flaws, as everything does, I feel that it gets past these problems.

First, campaign mode was fun. several of the plot twists are rather shocking, especially if you have played through all three of the games. Some of the arrangements with the enemies could be better, but they could be far worse, too. As for detail, I suppose that the enemies are detailed enough to look cool as you kill them and move on quickly... but don't stop and stare. It makes me wish they'd left out the brute's removable armor and just made it stay on. Let's move into weapons.

The wide variety is fun to play around with, especially the two extra types of grenades. I don't like the spike grenades much, but flame grenades are interesting to play around with. Frags are as they always have been, but Plasmas seem strangely easier to stick opponents with. But then again, maybe that's just me. Anyways, the actual weapons come in such a large variety that it's hard to decide at times! I often found myself asking questions like "Energy Sword or Gravity Hammer? Carbine or Spiker?" There was always a thousand ways to kill an enemy, and always a weapon to do it with. Heck, even the skulls you can collect for unlockables are good weapons... for normal mode, at least. I will admit, though, melees are way overpowered. Ever take out an entire group of Brutes and Grunts, along with a Brute chieftain... with a skull? I have. Twice.

The music in the game was nice, but I didn't really hear much over the screams of dying enemies. I like it.

Multiplayer is fun, and the wide variety of the weapons adds to the randomness of deaths. Just look on Youtube! Again, the melees are unfair, but if you can find a way to be prepared, you'll be just fine.

Forge is a great feature: Who DOESN'T like to change a map to their liking? Think that Sword's easy to reach? make it higher. Don't like that gravity hammer over there? Get rid of it. It's really nice.

Theater is good, too. It's nice to see exactly what just killed you!

The AI, though, isn't exactly a great thing to look at. Most enemy strategies remain the same, if not worse. Drones swarm, Flood charge, Marines suck. Occasionally you'll turn a corner into a kamikaze grunt, but not much else is surprising about the intelligence. In fact, you would sometimes swear that marines are there to hinder you; See that spartan body on that pile over there? That's where you landed when an ally Warthog mowed you down. With gunfire.

Altogether, I found this game very satisfying. A few parts got tedious, but not much beats the feel of killing a talking gorilla with a giant purple hammer! I hope I didn't forget anything.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/05/09

Game Release: Halo 3 (US, 09/25/07)