Review by return

"Did not expect much but did not expect that"

I'm one of those few thousands of people that don't have easy access to play online with other players globally on Xbox Live. I actually have experienced Halo 3 online thanks to a friend of mine for awhile, but it wasn't that fascinating or significant from the offline portion of Halo 3. The single player portion of the game was not very compelling, it lacked a stable story from the previous installments, or basically any plot unlike other similar series. Not very much replay value in single player either. The offline multiplayer is quite interesting, but it does not overwhelm the fact that the whole game overall was not very enjoyable, even online; you can have difficulty with some elements whether you are a professional player or not. The only thing that impressed me in Halo 3 was its beautiful graphics and the fact that it actually took advantage of what the Xbox 360 can be capable of. Other than that, everything else just seems to be a disappointment, only a true Halo series fanatic can say this game deserves more than maybe a 7/10, but I just don't see it.

I believe the best thing about Halo 3 is its graphics, many elements of this area have been worked on with great results. It may be one of the greatest graphics-wise for any shooter.

Plot: 4/10
The story did not keep me interested, it was more of " Yeah...... I'm just going to do this so I can get the achievements..... " I don't see how anyone can say the plot of Halo 3 was of great value, it would be other-worldly to explain how the plot of Halo 3 was any good at all.

Game-play: 7/10
It's somewhat enjoyable to play the game itself, my game-play rating is also based off of Halo 3's controls, the controls and game-play together are pretty decent, but the game-play staggers off from the controls.

Replay Value: 4/10
I do not think I really have to explain why it has low replay value, I may already have in my Plot rating.

Overall, I think the game deserves a 5 out of 10, or a 2/5 or a 10/20, whatever you want to say; I do not see what's so great about the Halo series. I have played previous installments but have never been too overreacting to it at all, I'm neither a huge fanatic or a lowly fanatic. This is an opinion coming from someone who enjoys every aspect of any type of video game.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 07/09/09

Game Release: Halo 3 (US, 09/25/07)