Review by rolltide19921

"Enjoyable game, but has a few flaws"

I have always been a fan of the Ghost Recon series and I had high expectations for this one, as did a lot of other people. It is an enjoyable, but slightly disapointing game and I feel it was a bit overrated and over hyped.

Gameplay 7/10

One of the early annoyances is the controls when you first start playing. There are a lot of commands that you need to memorize to effectively command you squad, tanks, helicopters, etc. It isn't much of a problem after you have played for a while. The rest of the controls are pretty fluid. The cover system works really well and is pretty realistic. You stick yourself against the wall by holding up against it and you can peak around the corner by simply going to the edge of the wall. If you're getting shot at you just have to let go of the thumbstick. You can also aim with precision while peeking around a corner. The AI however hasn't improved much from the other installments of the series. Your squadmates will not always do what you tell them to. The enemy AI has a few problems as well. They will take cover most of the time, but sometimes they will just run at you blindly allowing you to easily gun them down.

One of the things they took away is the ability to level up your squadmates' attributes. You also don't have as many choices as to who you want in your squad. You now only play as one character and you can't choose what soldier type he is. If one of your teammates goes down in a firefight you have a certain amount of time to heal him before he dies. You can also tell one of your other friends to heal him.

Story 5/10

The story is similar to most of Tom Clancy's other novels. A group of renegade Mexican soldiers are trying to kill the American, Mexican, and Canadien Presidents because of a treaty that was signed between the three countries.

Graphics 9/10

The graphics are very good and clear. The shadow and lighting effects are very well done. When someone is shooting at you, you can see the dirt being kicked up, and the glass looks very realistic when you shatter it. The character models are also very nice. One of the downsides is the location. As we all know, Mexico isn't a very scenic location so a lot of the levels look very similar in texture.

Sound 8/10

The sound has a few ups and downs. The gunshots and explosions sound incredibly realistic, but the voice acting is a little shaky, but also is pretty good in some places. It's annoying that when your squad goes where you tell them to, they will say: "I'm here" three times.

Rent or Buy?

If you are a Ghost Recon or Tactical shooter fan then I would reccomend buying this because it's cheap and its enjoyable. If you're not then you probably shouldn't bother because GRAW 2 is out anyway.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 01/22/08

Game Release: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (US, 03/09/06)