Review by Venomous_Elf

"ESIV or just another adventure game?"

Well considering this is suppose to be a sequel to the ES series and not a separate game I'm disappointed. You may or may not find this review harsh. I suggest that you try the game yourself though.

Well if you're unfamiliar with the ES series and just want a good adventure game with some RPG elements this review section is for you. Otherwise skip down and read my review for an ES Game. Sorry for the Confusion.

I've been a gamer since around the 80's. Even though the technology has changed, one thing should stay unchanged. Gameplay is the thing that should remain unchanged; it should be just as good, if not better than the graphics.

Review for a Adventure Game

The Gameplay

Well the controls sound, and combat system is good. The A.I. is good but could be better. The main thing is bugs with npc's. Sometimes NPC's get suck in wall, are suppose to be at a certain place but aren't, dialogue not showing up like it should, and NPC's walking then stopping when you get too close to them(but not as close as talking range)

The quests are good but some are buggy and not nearly long enough. Some of them really are repetitive though. The quest problems could perhaps be fixed with a patch and expansion pack(s). Well map and quest markers also help or hurt the game. IMO they hurt the game, and the game is built with them in mind.

A NPC will only give you so much info and will probably not give you directions in most cases. Instead they mark your map of where to go. I believe the bugs could have been avoided if they had taken more time testing it. Perhaps MS and fans pressured them so they felt they had to rush it and release it ASAP. Overall I give it a 5.

The Graphics

The graphics are good but a bit too unrealistic for me. I think of them as "too cartoony". The character creation is done by the annoyance of sliders. This only lets you edit the face, nothing else. The process can be long and annoying if you want to have a halfway good looking character. Instead of giving you a blank face, various shapes, you have to edit a face to make yours.

Most NPC's don't look that great and their not unique. Before the game was released, developers promised gamers that you won't find another NPC looking the same unless that NPC has a twin. I guess they have lots of twins then. Overall I give it a 6 or 7.

Overall Impression

Please don't get me wrong, this is not a bad game. This game does have it flaws though. I recommend you give it a try and decide for yourself.. I give it a 6.

Review for a ES Game

Gameplay

Well one of the 1st things I noticed is some skills are missing from Oblivion. They are spear, unarmored, medium armor (heavy and light are still present), axe, enchant (still present but no longer a skill), short and long blade (changed to blade), and marksman is still their but only has to do with bow and arrows (so no more throwing knives or stars). At the beginning of the game you can create your appearance but not your class or sign. Your asked later what your class/sign is which I found disappointing. Theirs not as many factions either and some that are listed under your factions may only contain a few insignificant missions.

Some are good though while other is buggy and repetive. The gates of oblivion aren't that much better. Basically you've entered one gate, you've seen them all. I really wish they would have made them different including how to close them. The npc's also act buggy and may not give you the dialogue option you need, or be where they should be.

Also since theirs voice acting, their seems to be a lot less dialogue than in previous games which is a disappointing cause that could have made the story better. They added map markers to make it super easy to find where you need to go, cause of the way they set up the game. Instead of asking npc's where to find something and they tell you where it's near or give you directions. Now npc's say something like "here I'll mark your map where the location is" Id say that the map, combat system (which was inspired by mods for Morrowind), sound and the controls are good. Overall I give the gameplay a 4.

Graphics

Basically this is the same as the above review on the graphics. The graphics are good but a bit too unrealistic for me on 360. I think of them as "too cartoony". I have seen them on a high end pc and their a bit better. The character creation is done by the annoyance of sliders. This only lets you edit the face, nothing else. The process can be long and annoying if you want to have a halfway good looking character. Instead of giving you a blank face, various shapes, you have to edit a face to make yours.

Most NPC's don't look that great and their not unique. Before the game was released, developers promised gamers that you won't find another NPC looking the same unless that NPC has a twin. I guess they have lots of twins then. Overall I give it a 5.

Overall Impression

Well they call this game TESIV: Oblivion. Ok I agree with the the Oblivion part but I disagree with calling it the 4th game in the series. Well, too much is missing for players familar with the series for this game to be considered a sequel. Perhaps with expansions and mods for the PC this game could be considered a sequel to the ES series. However right now I don't think it deserves to be called that. I enjoy Morrowind modded making the characters better looking, graphics replacers so the game looks as good as Oblivion imo, combat mods, quest mods, house mods...etc Even without having the modded version of a great game like Morrowind or Daggerfall, they still make great fluid rpgs unlike Oblivion, which is more of a adventure game. Therefore try this game, and see if you like it but I give it a 4 if your familiar with the series.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 05/23/06