Review by bigtmor6

"Into Oblivion and Back! An all around great game!"

"Into Oblivion and Back-All around great game!"

The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion is the first TES game I have ever played, but it will certainly not be the last. Upon purchasing this game and beginning, I soon found myself engrossed in the excellent game play and full package that this title has to offer. Here is a breakdown of the game:

Introduction/At a Glance
Upon inserting the disc, you are thrown into a brand new world of game play. It opens with none other that Patrick Stewart voicing over an emperor in his last days. During this intro, you are shown what magnificent graphics this game truly has to offer. It takes advantage of the X-Box 360's hardware in a magnificent way. I was really overcome by the attention to detail and vast landscapes.

Storyline:
The storyline is equally engrossing as the graphical content. You can play as one of many races-each with their own advantages and disadvantages. Once you've selected your race and gender, you can begin to specialize your characters attributes as a warrior, mage, or a thief-type character. It really gives you the ability to completely customize your character for the type of game play you are looking for. But don't worry, if you aren't sure what you would like to be, or what to expect, you can choose from a list of noncustom classes that assign the attributes to you without much input.

Game play:
This is the area that Oblivion really pushes the envelope in my opinion. Once you've gotten through the tutorials and selected your character, you are free to do what you wish. You can jump into the nearest cave or ruin, or start the main quest line. It is completely up to you. One neat detail to point out is that your enemies level up with you. This makes it so that you can really go anywhere you want without being pounded and beaten within minutes of beginning your quest. Truly a helpful detail that I am glad was inserted into this game.

Control:
The control set-up is very accommodating to any type of game play-Whether you focus on magic, stealth, or toe-to-toe combat. I have found no need to mess with the control set-up.
Once you have completed the main quest line (if you choose to), there are still many things that you can do. There are hundreds of side quests ranging from retrieving lost artifacts, joining a guild, or even decoration your house with all the various items you have come across in your exploration.

Extra Content:
There is a vast array of downloadable content for this game. All of which are at a moderate price. (Considering what you get from each download.) Some downloads are geared toward certain types of players (mages to vampires to thiefs), but can be used by any type. I, myself, have all the downloaded content and feel that the money was very well spent.

Replay Value?
Very High! You can begin a new game at any point in the game without losing your current character, and then switch between them as you choose. This will allow you to experience this game from many different angles. Maybe the first time, you decide to play through as a Hack N Slash warrior. For a completely different feel, you can begin a new game as a thief who specializes in light armor and sneaking. The combinations are nearly endless and certainly add to the value of the game.

Negatives:
This is probably the best game I have played to date. This includes the games I played on the Sega Genesis to the Playstation 2, to the Nintendo Wii. Really one of the best. However, there are a few minor details that keep this game from getting a 10/10

The NPCs in this game are certainly varied. Literally hundreds of different characters. But you'll find many of them saying the same thing over and over which gets a little annoying. Also, it is weird when a very important character has the same voice as Joe Schmo that you might pass in one of the towns.

Glitches
There are also some annoying glitches that can affect the game play. Most of them are fixed though downloadable patches, but some can still occur. During a few quests, if you do something out of order, you might not be able to progress-however this is very rare! I have only come across this once. And if it happens to you, you can simply reload a previous save file. (Save a lot!)

Buy or Rent?
Buy! You can rent this game to see if you like it, but within the 3 days or so that you may have with this title, you won't even begin to tap the awesome game play there is. Not to mention once you have completed the main quest line, there are hundreds more quests to complete.

Bottom Line:
The Bottom line is that if you own an X-Box 360, you should own this game. Play it, it is addicting.

GamePlay: 10/10
Controls: 10/10
Replay: 10/10

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/12/07

Game Release: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (US, 03/20/06)