Review by maleman24

"Oblivion: Up to My standards, but to yours?"

So I injected steroids into my X-Box 360, preparing for how big the game was, and had a crack at oblivion. I have never had any previous experience with TES series, but Oblivion seemed decent.

Yes, a perfect 10 for the graphics, they are superb! Considering how big the game was, I was thrilled how detailed everything was, from a tree to a rock to moss on the rock, everything had thought in it. Of course the graphics are nice, but they are to repetitive... It's as if Bethesda took 200 square yards of some British countryside, added some tents and goblins, and copy and pasted until it was roughly the size of London.

The sounds decent, I guess. I mean they are very nicely touched, but there's only like 15 different songs. 2 for combat, and different ones for houses, towns, and dungeons. All together, it becomes quite repetitive. But you barely notice the sound while your clubbing goblins in the head.

Cons: There is a LOT of cons and they considerably downsize the game
-The leveling system really takes out the thrill of searching for great treasure in some hell-hole cave, as the items level with the character. If your level 1, you'll get iron and fur. level 20, expect daedric and glass. Then the combat system is basically hold the left trigger until the enemy stumbles, then jam your finger as fast as you can on the right trigger. Then the downfall of oblivion. ITS NOT IMMERSIVE!!! Whenever you feel like your about to be taken away by the game you find an NPC walking into a wall for an hour and then come crashing back down to Earth!.

Pros: All the items that can be used are helpful in boosting the gameplay experience. Cyrodil isn't some happy place, There's ales and meads, and the games own drug, Skooma. When you see a Skooma addict wandering around town asking for some money for more skooma. It feels like they really are addicted. The skills in the game are plentiful and all serve a good purpose. So you can make any type of character you want. A sinister assassin, or a powerful warrior. There's endless choices, but only a few effective ones.

Characters: 6/10
The characters are well created, but with only 5 voice actors. Often times you can find NPCs conversing with themselves about buying their favorite items from THEMSELVES. Your custom character creation is very detailed in the face, but why not the body. Why can't you be scrawney or big boned?

Conclusion: All in all its a good game to the right people,but there is many flaws in the game. But if your fan, you should look past the flaws and enjoy this great game.

Overall:8/10

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 06/23/08

Game Release: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (US, 03/20/06)