Review by TBurnerx

"Absolutely Phenomenal, A must play for anybody"

No game this generation that lacks multiplayer has been able to keep me playing as long as Oblivion. After playing and enjoying Morrowind this was a must buy and from the moment I started playing the game captured my attention.

This game showcases so many different environments with unique textures and every last detail from surfaces to characters are extremely polished. The outside environments go from rolling yellow coastal hills to a frosty alpine hills and peaks filled with snow covered trees. Inside the dungeons shadows and excellent lighting effects bring out a dark and damp look. All of the cities are unique with different building styles and textures.

The main story is alright, it gets the job done but where the game really shines in the story department is in all the side quests especially in the different guild story lines. There is never any shocking plot twists but the story lines are good enough to keep you engaged.

Booming scores set the mood all over the game, from peaceful music in forests to side conversations between NPCs in cities and suddenly foreboding sounds when an enemy nears the sound is very polished and flawless.

Control: 9/10
The controls are very straight forward and easy to learn, you can select first person or third person viewing modes, third person feels a little bit clunky though. It is easy to cast spells and targets and Oblivion is a huge step up from Morrowind when it comes to archery, bows are very balanced compared to other weapons in the game unlike Morrowind.

Bugs and Glitches: 7/10
This is the worst part of the game, there is occasional freezing so save your games often and then the bug that corrupts save files after large amounts of play. Your character can get stuck in rocks as well and then you have to load your recent save.

NPCs: 10/10
Oblivion is the best game I have played in terms of NPCs, they lead their own lives, engage in conversations with other NPCs and move around as the day progresses. They get angry when you insult them and react differently to bribes and compliments.

Customization: 10/10
From buying and furnishing your own house to the sheer amount of weapons and armors in this game you can customize almost anything about your character. With many different races and skills no two play throughs can be the same.

Re-playability: 10/10
I have sunk more hours into this game then any other single player non-online game, since there are so many different races every play through can be different, you can focus on magic skills one play through and then focus on melee skills in another play through. There are tons of side quests as well, you can put tons of hours into this game and find new side quests while randomly exploring. With the addition of DLC like the Shivering Isles, Knights on the Nine and all the other small downloads available on Live there are many things left after you beat the main game.

I would recommend this game to anyone looking for a good single player game, I can hardly think of a better game to spend the 20 dollars on that Oblivion costs

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 08/31/09

Game Release: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (US, 03/20/06)