Review by bradonius

"Wow, what a game."

Wow have I been waiting patiently. Finally, it's out. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. The much awaited sequel to Morrowind hit the stores just one day ago, and I can tell you, it's very impressive. From the freedom you get, to the awesome quests and NPC AI, this game has it all. Almost. Why am I giving it a 9 and not a 10? Read on.

I had to get this review off with a bang. The graphics are what makes this game so immersive. From the dark, cold dungeons to the beautiful, lush forests. This game is a huge step up from the likes of Morrowind. You will be sucked in the moment the game loads up in your prison cell. That's how great the graphics are. Definitely, the way next-gen graphics should look. Also, what impressed me, was the attention to detail. Look at almost anything close up and it looks almost real. That is something most games are missing these days.

The game begins with you, the character of your choice, in jail. For a crime you do not know. Just as you are getting settled in to your new home, who else shows up but the emperor, Uriel Septum. He needs to use your cell for a secret passage away from the castle. You follow him along a dark cavern and when you finally stop, he tells you his sons are dead. He is making an escape. He also tells you that some strange gates are opening up. The Oblivion gates. Your job is to shut these gates and trap these hellish creatures back to where they came.

The gameplay in this game is almost perfect. There are just a few things that keep this gameplay from reaching perfection. One, the loading times. While not too bad, they are definitely there. Some may find these annoying. Two, the battling is still not the best it could be. While improved from Morrowind, there still are some issues. Other than that, everything is great. You can do fun stuff like hunt and ride on horses. Also, the physics are amazing. You can pick items up and fling 'em around. Watch bodies tumble down hills. All that good stuff. All in all, this is where the meat of the game is.

Amazing, amazing sound. I had to say it twice. You are constantly hearing music in this game. For some games, that would be a bad thing. Not for this one. ALL the music is awesome in this game. From the main theme to the battle music.

I would have to mark this down one from 10 because of some loading and fighting issues. Otherwise, this is a great game for rpg fans and non-rpg fans alike.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/24/06