Review by Scared89

"The Greatest Game I Have Ever Played"

I still remember the day I got Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. December 25th, 2003, the day I also got my X-Box. Along with getting KOTOR and Halo, I was really wanting to play Morrowind. While Morrowind was revolutionary and amazing, it lacked something that made me want to keep playing it. After many hours, I stopped playing the game.

Cut to present day, I desperately await the release of Oblivion after seeing the amazing screens. I get it, and immediately my jaw hits the ground. This is by far the best game I have ever played in my life, and this review is going to explain to you in great depth why.

I am always careful to not throw the term "best graphics ever" around loosely, but I'm going to slap this title on this game without hesitation. From the moment you end the training level and look out and see the enormous world with gorgeous hills covered it detailed trees and amazing grass, you realize VERY quickly that this game is the real deal.

With that, I imagine that answered the question of, "How detailed is this game?". The grass sways with wind and is highly colorful and detailed. Within cities stonework is highly detailed and my oh my, people look amazing. Game developers are getting scary close to photo realistic faces it's amazing. Unlike Morrowind, EVERYONE has a voice and the mouths move perfectly to their dialogue.

Oblivion now has something that Morrowind lacked. A physics engine. This physics engine is amazing, there's no denying that. The first time I shot an arrow into a bandit's chest and saw him fly back, hit the ground, and then roll a little way down a hill, I was amazed. Just in the training level, the ability to move the chains and skull ropes is just amazing. Also, you can just grab items instead of pick them up, which can cause you to grab a plate off a table and use it to knock off all the objects on the table, which realistically hit the ground, bounce, roll, flip, etc.. like they would in real life.

To summarize, the graphics are the best in a game, EVER.

The most important part of a game is it's gameplay. Let me tell you this, Oblivion doesn't fail to deliver here either. Remember how in Morrowind, you would attack something and your strikes would seem to hit every time, but for some reason they would miss? No more of that crap, each strike has a chance to hit, but don't worry, that doesn't mean battles have gone from 5 minutes to 1 second, your opponents can block your attacks and counter attack. So can you as well. You have multiple power strikes, weak strikes, blocking, magic, jumping, archery, and more to deal with. Combat in this game has jumped head over heels above Morrowind.

Everything in this game just feels fluent and delivers so well, battles are never choppy or boring and dungeon exploring never gets old. The amount of things to do in this game is staggering. You may get a quest that says go from point A to point B, but on the way you will run into a point C, D, E, and F. This game isn't your typical, finish in less than a month and let it collect dust, it's a long game with so much to do.

This leads me to customization, which is unreal. From the character creation, to all the weapons and armor. This isn't your typical Diablo or Baldurs Gate game where there is 7 versions of rusty armor +2, +5, etc... armor is so unique and special. The character you create will most likely look different from your friend's character. Dungeons even look unique, A vampire's cave will look entirely different from an Imp cave, or a bandit's cave. Another option you get is to even create your own class. Don't like the many class options the game gives you? Fine, create your own.

Gameplay is so open ended it takes what Morrowind did and went a few steps further.

The game's soundtrack is incredibly epic and well done. It fits perfectly with the game and even battles get cool music. Also, each character has a voice which is a definite plus. There are obviously tons of lines for the characters because depending on what race you pick depends on how people talk to you at certain points in the game.

The sound in this game is as good as it gets.

The story in this game is top notch. I don't want to spoil it at all so I'll tell you just what the game box says for the story.

"With the empire ready to crumble, the gates of Oblivion (Tamriel's version of Hell) open and demons march upon the land. You must find the lost heir to the throne and unravel the sinister plot that threatens to destroy all of Tamriel."

Besides the main quest, you can go on many different side quests including joining multiple guilds such as the Thieves guild or The Dark Brotherhood.

The story is very griping and well done, everything you would want in an RPG and much better than Morrowind's storyline.

Controls: 10/10

The controls are incredibly easy and well done. They won't take too long to memorize and perfect. Everything you would want in an RPG type game.

Replayability: 10/10

Take it like this, the main quest alone takes about 40 hours to finish. That's the main quest only. Now take the many guilds which offer quests to move up (many hours each guild), the arena, and many caves and side quests from different people. This game will take a long time to beat 100% and even after that you can create an entirely different character and play the game in an entirely different way than before. This is a game that could keep you busy until the GOTY edition that will inevitably come out.

The Verdict

This is by far the greatest game I've played in my life. Nothing has been this addictive to me since I stopped playing World of Warcraft and before that, Champions of Norrath. This game just offers way too much to not get bought. If you own a 360 and aren't even thinking about buying this, you should be ashamed. If you don't even have a 360, I will go as far and say to buy a 360 just to experience this game if you don't have a high end computer for the computer version. My verdict? An easy 10/10 .

Go buy this game now.