Question from ItsThisGuyAgain

Why does my Xbox freeze during heavy loading times?

It only seems to do this every once in a while, but when I play games with large open worlds, such as Grand Theft Auto 4 or Oblivion, the disc reader will sometimes sound like it's going crazy with loading. After a few minutes of making those sounds it will just freeze the game. Depending on how much the game is loading, I am only able to play for a few hours or a few minutes. I can't use my Xbox Guide button or anything to turn off the system. The game music will sometimes still play as well. Again, this doesn't happen every time I play, it just seems to be in games that involve a lot of loading.

My 360 is an Arcade edition I got last December when my other one broke down. I keep it horizontally and on an end table. I assume installing games to the HDD would fix this, but unfortunately it is full.

ItsThisGuyAgain provided additional details:

I have just tried clearing the cache but I haven't been playing enough since doing that to see if it has helped yet. I'll see how this works out. Thanks.

Answers

dievyan answered:

I also had that problem, then I figured out that it's just me playing too long, either the game is too hot for the drive to read it or the Xbox is too"exhausted", any way, just give your Xbox a 30 min break every 2 hours of game-play or movie watching, this also decreases the risk to get an RROD (red ring of Death).
1 0

itwizz answered:

Try clearing your cache:

On the Dashboard go to the System Settings menu, Memory, then press Y and press the Cache Clear Button (Using this method will delete ALL game updates off your system as well as the Temporary Files so you'll have to re-download the updates before you can play your games again), (This method was Introduced with the August 11th 2009 update).

OR

On the Dashboard go to the System Settings menu, Memory, then press Y for Device Options then press X-X-LB-RB-X-X (Using this method will delete ALL game updates off your system as well as the Temporary Files so you'll have to re-download the updates before you can play your games again).
0 0