Can I plug my ethernet cable into my router into my phone jack?

1. I am getting Xbox Live soon.
    Will I be able to plug my ethernet cable into my router into my phone jack for Xbox Live to work properly?

User Info: FireFox_814

FireFox_814 - 7 years ago
    Ok so my router has no chance of plugging into my phone jack?

User Info: FireFox_814

FireFox_814 - 7 years ago

1. Just to clarify. Contrary to what itwizz said, there is never any reason to plug a phone line into a router. If you are still running dial-up or DSL, then you would plug the phone line into a MODEM, not a router. If you already have internet access you should have a modem, all you would have to do is connect an ethernet cable from the modem to your router, then another cord from the router to your 360, then set up Live.

User Info: IrishWang

IrishWang - 7 years ago 2 0

Answers

1. No. The phone line and ethernet lines are a different type of cable system. Phone jacks are RJ-11 and ethernet is RJ-45. Not only are the connections different sizes, but they are also wired differently.

User Info: IrishWang

IrishWang - 7 years ago 1 1
  2. The router has to be plugged in to the phone line or you'd get no Internet access but the ETHERNET cable can ONLY be plugged into either the router or a computer with Internet Connection Sharing enabled.

User Info: itwizz

itwizz (Expert) - 7 years ago 1 1
  3. Ok thanks.

User Info: FireFox_814

FireFox_814 - 7 years ago 0 1
  4. Please close this now it has been answered.

User Info: itwizz

itwizz (Expert) - 7 years ago 0 1
  5. You're better of asking this here: www.pcpitstop.com or in the PC answers forums as you are asking a very technical question.

Please close this question and repost in one of the forums.

User Info: itwizz

itwizz (Expert) - 7 years ago 1 0