Question from tooboredtothink

Why can't the Xbox 360 rip certain files off a CD?

I found out that the only way to save music in the Xbox 360 harddrive is to install it from a CD.

I put some music in a CD, burned it, and then went over to my Xbox 360, and Ripped music in it.

It only ripped half the songs that were in the CD, so I retried, and this time, only about 2 songs that didn't rip, ripped properly in the Xbox 360.

I played the CD on the Xbox 360, it works fine, it can play the music just fine, its just when it come to ripping the music off it, some songs just decide not to go in the Harddrive.

It gives me an error that says the file may not be compatible and tells me to call an Xbox 360 support service line....

The Xbox 360 is pretty picky on the format of the songs to rip them from the Hard Drive. It won't take just MP3s just put onto a CD. It must be a complete audio CD.

The easiest way I have found to make a working CD is this:
-Install iTunes on your computer (Windows Media Player and other things SHOULD work too.)
-Make sure you have CD-R or CD-RW CDs. Not DVDs.
-Make your playlist of songs. A CD will typically hold only about 20 songs (depending of length and quality)
-When you hit "Burn" on whatever program you are using, you should get some kind of list of options.
-Make sure the "Audio CD" option is selected. Not a Data CD or anything else that may be there.
-The program will burn the CD to the same format a Music CD is when you buy one from the real ones you buy from the store.

-You should then have no issues ripping all the songs into the Xbox 360 Hard Drive. The Xbox is very picky, so it has to be done right.