Question from Zarocza

Why is my game scratched?

My copy of The Orange Box was working fine a few days ago, but now, whenever I try to play it, it freezes, and I need to restart the xbox. When I tried to install it to my hard drive,it said the disc was damaged. I look at the disc and it has a perfect scratch all around it, about 2 inchs from the edge. What happened, and how can I fix it? Can my disc be saved, or do I need to buy a new one? And will happen to all my games?

stevenjohnpayne answered:

I've been working in games shops since long before the 360 came out and and i've seen more scratched 360 discs than i care to remember, but i can tell you that 95% of the time the circular scratches are because the system has been moved while the disc is spinning. think of it like holding a nail to a record while it's playing, it'll create a perfect circle.
when i say moved this can be anything like having the 360 ontop of an unstable cabinet, on a speaker, even near a open window or living near a train track. it's endless
i have however seen one of my own 360's decide to start scratching discs all by it's self.
the only real way i've seen of telling what it at fault is to look at the scratches, if the mark is concentrated to a very thin section (5mm or less) it's likely to be a "someone moved the console" issue, if it is sporadic across the disc it's more likley to be an enviromental problem like nearby speakers etc. but i have also seen both types of marks from machines which have developed problems.
the discs can be repaired using a repair machine which removes layers of the disc until it gets down to an unmarked layer, but circle scraches are a bugger and have to be completley removed, ask around in the major game shops, as alot of the have the repair machines now for the pre-owned games
in short, if you are confidant the machine was not moved by a person, check the surroundings you have the machine in, and lay it flat if possible, keep an eye on your discs and look for the start of scratches, and good luck
0 0

Answers

zubia87 answered:

This happened to me with Rock band, did you maybe move your system by accident and if you didn't call Valve if they can replace your game that is what I did and got a new rock band in two weeks. If that doesn't work then call Microsoft.
0 0