Review by gummy

"One step forward, two steps back..."

The Xbox 360, Microsoft's second crack at the gaming crown, was supposed to be pure technological marvel, with outstanding graphics, crisp sound, great games and wireless controllers. Unfortunately for the Aussies like myself who forked over $750 for this "revolution", to say the least I was disappointed.

Now before I go into detail (with graphics and sound), I've already run into a problem. This was to be released on March 2, 2006 (in Australia), as said on Microsoft's Australian website. Then, in early February, the release is postponed to March 23, no reason was disclosed, no apology was given, just a swift change on all the adds.

GRAPHICS 10/10

*rubs eyes*, the graphics are good enough to impress a blind man! Turning on the 360 for the first time excited me with stunning visuals. If graphics were the only part of a game, then I wouldn't have sold it. Games such as FIFA and Kameo run more than beautifully, and the graphics will be a yardstick for the PS3 and Wii to be measured by.

EXTERIOR DESIGN 8/10

Sleek and sexy white design, is lovely. Certainly looks like the most attractive console of the upcoming generation, since the Wii isn't special, and you can live in a PS3. Unfortunately, the 360 still has a size problem, fitting it on your bedroom TV shelf is nigh impossible, while trying to move the thing is awfully inconvenient.

GAME LIBRARY 4/10

While still a new console, the 360's game library is almost all available on the current generation, at a fraction of the price. Games like FIFA are on all other consoles. While the other games are third party.

DVDs and OTHER FEATURES Who cares?/10

I believe I'm writing this review for www.gameFAQs.com, so while DVDs and the like may seem like a nice bonus, they don't belong on a Video Game System.

COST 1/10

Ridiculous. $750 for a wireless controller and a hard drive, but if you want that you just pay $650, but you'll still have to pay $60 for a memory card. Otherwise you can't even save! Games are around $100, and you can get them for a fraction of the price on GameCube, PS2 and Xbox.

ACCESSORIES 5/10

Trying out the controller in my local Games Wizards sparked worry, as I was playing Fight Night 3, my controller's left stick just stopped working! GW threw the controller out. And the 360. And the game. The defections keep rolling on, multiple polls on www.misterpoll.com, showed that 57% of participants 360s were defective after: 26% blamed overheating, 24% blamed games freezing, 4% complained about disk scratching and 3% had DOA.

HOW WILL IT COMPARE TO THE WII AND PS3?

Unfortunately for MS fanboys, the 360 has kept a lot of old technology, and from what we have heard about the PS3 and Wii, the 360 will be bettered by at least one of them in every area.

OVERALL 4/10

Microsoft lost millions on the original Xbox, and doesn't look like improving, as in the first month of 360 sales, the GameCube outsold it, and it's safe to say, the Wii will be a lot more popular.

CONCLUSION

In final, the 360 is already on dire straits, with defective Xbox 360s costing Microsoft heaps, sluggish sales aren't helping at all. All we can hope is that they do some good to the industry in their third attempt (which will hopefully be a charm), with Apple destroying MS in computers, and the 360's sluggish proceedings, the future for the big M looks bleak...

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 08/03/06