Review by dafreestyleking

"I like the games more than I like the hardware."

I purchased an used XBOX 360 core unit system and it lasted for about six months. I was attempting to play Gears Of War at the time of my XBOX 360's death. At first, I thought maybe it was my game, not the system that was causing the problem, but that wasn't the case because I take good care of my video games. So just in case, I tried to play another game, but it also failed. I felt horrible and ripped off, because I did everything that I was told to do to make sure that my XBOX 360 wouldn't die on me, but the machine crapped out on my anyway. I kept the machine well ventilated, I never left my games in the machine when I wasn't playing it, and I rarely played on my 360 at all because I was afraid that if I overused it, it would die on me.

Buying a used XBOX 360 was the first thing I had done wrong. I didn't know this at first, but a lost of XBOX 360's aren't solidly manufactured,, so if you own this console, prepare yourself for the worst, because it can be YOU that someday has the three red lights of death.

When my XBOX 360 was working, it was a pretty great machine. I personally think Microsoft could have done a better job designing the system, or at least have different colors to choose from. It looks okay, but not great, and it's long, vertical shape does it no favors, and as a result, I had a hard time trying to figure out where to place my XBOX 360. I watched DVDs more than I played video games on it. When you're watching DVD's the system is quiet, but when you're playing games the machine is loud...really loud.

THE GOOD

I thought the controller was pretty good. I was expecting to have some problems due to the large size of the controller, but I was pleasantly surprised. Buttons A and B are on the bottom row of buttons, while buttons X and Y occupy the top rows, no discomfort here. Then you have two conveniently located trigger buttons(one on the left, the other on the right), and on the top you have two bumpers.(again one on the left, the other on the right.) The are also two joysticks, a d-pad for you old school gamers, and a small button that lets you access the XBOX 360 main menu. So overall, the controller was solid.

What lured me to buy the XBOX 360 over the ps3 was the lower cost and the graphics. PS3 has great graphics as well, but the XBOX 360 could offer me similar, and in some cases superior graphics and cost much lower $$$$. The first time I played Gears Of War I thought I was watching a movie, the graphics are that great. I don't even play on a HD TV, I play on a regular, craptacular television set, and the graphics are still amazing. There have been games that I thought didn't have "next gen" gameplay, but the graphics in all of the games I've played so far have been extraordinary.

THE BAD

As I mentioned earlier in my review, I made a bad mistake when I bought a core unit system instead of a premium. I know the $400 price tag for a premium may scare some people off, but believe me it'll save you money in the long run. I, to this day still have the core system, and I regret being too cheap to buy the premium. The premium XBOX 360 has a 20gig hard drive, which allows you to save your games to to system instead of a memory card, and you can even store your own songs on it. You can't do either of those things without the hard drive. And if you do buy the core system, prepare to spend over $30 bucks for a 64mb memory card. That's a bit too pricey for my tastes. So take my advice, save your money and don't by the core.

If you accidentally bump your 360, you'll probably damage your games. I did this by mistake, and it gave one of my games the "circle of death." Bumping or moving your console while it's on will leave a circular ring on your games, so beware and make sure you put your 360 is in a secure place.

CONCLUSION

When it's working it's a great console, and it would of had a higher score if it wasn't prone to crashing. So get yourself a XBOX 360, but get the premium and have fun gaming.

PROS:
-excellent graphics
-great library of games
-nice menu interface

CONS:
-red lights of death
-loud console
-Buy the PREMIUM, not the CORE system
-system has a tendency to overheat.
-1-800-4-MY-XBOX(Chances are, if you're a 360 owner, you will be dialing this number.)

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 08/13/07, Updated 08/14/07