Review by PyramidHead87

"The next generation is here? Gee, I didn't notice"

I was, like most others, skeptical about what this thing had to bring to the table of the video game industry. Having been a supporter of Sony and Nintendo, I played a few games on someone else's Xbox, such as Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, which actually IS better on the Xbox than the PS2. Though I have eventually established a newfound respect for the original Xbox, I can say that whatever I thought of the new Xbox 360 hasn't changed since before Microsoft announced it, and for good reason...

A friend of mine finally bought a Premium Xbox 360 system, and boy, he couldn't wait to show it off to me. He got Call of Duty 2, Perfect Dark Zero, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, and PGR3 (yep, he was loaded). When I finally played it myself, sure it was fun at first, then I started to see what the Xbox 360 COULD have done much better.

First of all, the one thing I don't like about the Xbox 360...is the name. I would have been just fine with Xbox 2 or Xenon, but Xbox 360 sounds like Microsoft wasted no time thinking of a name. The name itself doesn't make sense...get this, if it was supposed to be a "360," that means the Xbox would end up right back where it started. Then, there's the positive version...as Geoff Keighley put it, it's an experience that revolves around you. It felt more like it was still in front of me instead of around me.

First off, I'll start with the most obvious...the graphics processor is much better on the 360 than on any console we've seen up till this point. However, it all seemed to make little difference in what the games themselves were all about. I'm not going to review the games themselves because I've only played about a half hour of all the ones he had, but I've seen enough to state my verdict here.

Even if this is the "next generation of video games," it certainly didn't feel like it. The games I've played on it (except for Call of Duty 2) felt like old ideas wrapped in a new coat of paint. PGR3 felt like a game that could have easily been on the original Xbox (as did NFS:MW), and Perfect Dark Zero seemed like a game that was better suited for Gamecube territory. What I'm getting at is this: for next-gen games, I want to see something truly next-gen. I'm usually one of the main ones complaining about games trying too hard to do too many things, but in the Xbox 360's case, I haven't seen enough. But, I will give these games props for fleshing out a fun, yet tried, gaming experience. The Xbox 360 does feature HD, but if you don't have an HDTV, you can forget about getting the most out of these games. I played these games on a regular brand-name TV set, and the graphics looked dark and washed-out. An obvious take on Microsoft making you spend precious money.

Remember back when the PS2 and Dreamcast first came out? Remember how much of a jump those were from the PS1 and N64? Games like Soul Calibur brought a whole new dimension to fighting games, and even the original Xbox showed us what can be accomplished with games like Splinter Cell. But if this is the next generation of video games as we know it...it's gonna be a loooong 2006, people. 7/10.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 01/10/06