Review by QueenAdreena

"Any JRPG fan will surely kick themselves for missing this one..."

I decided to write this review because of the onslaught of unfair and biased reviews Blue Dragon received by many magazines, sites, and people lacking basic grammar skills.

Blue Dragon is a wonderful RPG experience and could be enjoyed by anyone who likes similar games such as Dragon Quest or even the Final Fantasy series as long as they go into it without expecting it to be what it's not. The game has a very fun battle system, beautiful graphics, a great sound track, likable characters, and yes, a decent story.

Graphics and Soundtrack
The game looks really good and the music fits the mood of the game well. Of course, everyone already knows this, so I don't need to say anymore about it.
Gameplay and Length
There's nothing bad I can say about the battle system. It's surprisingly enjoyable and level grinding is quite a bit less tedious and boring as other turn-based RPGs can be in that aspect. Magic spells not only damage the enemy with that element, but also have other effects on many enemies (such as flare over-heating robots, wind knocking enemies shields away, etc).

The characters abilities and stats are all pretty much a blank slate. The game doesn't force you to have a female white mage like many other RPGs do. Characters start out with three classes to learn skills from and you can mix and match the skills freely.

The game can become very long. It will normally take 40 to 70 hours depending on how you play, but can become much longer if you spend a lot of time leveling up and searching environments thoroughly.

Story and Characters
The story moves at a slow pace at first, but don't let that keep you from the game. When it starts to pick up you will find a great, yet simple story.

Many people have a problem with the characters, namely Marumaro. I admit, at first I was annoyed. I remember cringing and even being glad my fiance wasn't in the room when the his tribe, the Devee's, dance for you. But, later, he actually turns out to be kind of funny and also the womanizer of the party.

As for the other characters, they all have their own personalities that are evident from the first few minutes of the game. The voice acting was done pretty well, though Shu and Jiro's voices are annoying sometimes.

Other Comments
The reason I gave the game a 9/10 is simply because of load screens in places that seem completely unnecessary, not being able to skip battle animations, and there are some frame rate issues, but it's not bad enough to ruin the game experience.

In conclusion, Blue Dragon is a definite buy for any fan of this type of RPG. It is a very solid game with few flaws.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 09/09/07

Game Release: Blue Dragon (US, 08/28/07)